Ultimate College Softball
Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 25 of 26     «   Prev   22   23   24   25   26   Next
steelau

Registered:
Posts: 16
Reply with quote  #721 
Isn't Dean's strength and expertise working with pitchers?

If so, we will just need to see how he develops Swindle, Harris, and any new pitchers he brings in...

And is this transfer able to play in 2018? Dean referenced that he now has 2 righties and 2 lefties, which tells me he is referring to this coming season....
AUWhiskey

Registered:
Posts: 159
Reply with quote  #722 
 Well, the 2018 season is over.  Time flies, doesn't it?  Handley will be at Auburn this fall and play the fall schedule and 2019.
supernatural

Registered:
Posts: 288
Reply with quote  #723 
Pretty sure she gave up the most walks in a season in program history, and the person writing her bio didn't realize walks are a bad thing for pitchers. If she gets significant innings Auburn is in major trouble.
SECFan04

Registered:
Posts: 524
Reply with quote  #724 
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernatural
Pretty sure she gave up the most walks in a season in program history, and the person writing her bio didn't realize walks are a bad thing for pitchers. If she gets significant innings Auburn is in major trouble.


I don't want to rip into the kid, haven't seen her play before but yea the walks will have to go down significantly if she were to survive SEC play. 

Stats:

IP: 226
ERA: 2.45
Ks: 183
BB's:92

Then again she pitched a lot of innings... but the competition isn't the best either.

Time will tell, Dean has his work cut out for him


It will be Martin then pitch by committee next season I would imagine 
AUWhiskey

Registered:
Posts: 159
Reply with quote  #725 
This is a couple years out, but does anyone know if Shelby Lowe of the Thunderbolts 16U team is an Auburn commit or a bama commit?  I read two articles about the Bolts (who just won the natty).  One said she was an Auburn commit, the other said UA.  LHP. 
scfastpitch

Registered:
Posts: 93
Reply with quote  #726 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUWhiskey
This is a couple years out, but does anyone know if Shelby Lowe of the Thunderbolts 16U team is an Auburn commit or a bama commit?  I read two articles about the Bolts (who just won the natty).  One said she was an Auburn commit, the other said UA.  LHP. 


I'm curious about that too . Flo Softball in a couple of articles said she was an Auburn committ . Then in their article on the championship game they described her as " Alabama committed " .
SECFan04

Registered:
Posts: 524
Reply with quote  #727 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUWhiskey
This is a couple years out, but does anyone know if Shelby Lowe of the Thunderbolts 16U team is an Auburn commit or a bama commit?  I read two articles about the Bolts (who just won the natty).  One said she was an Auburn commit, the other said UA.  LHP. 



I thought she was an Auburn commit unless something changed recently 
sballwatcher

Registered:
Posts: 190
Reply with quote  #728 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SECFan04



I thought she was an Auburn commit unless something changed recently 


Auburn commit
scfastpitch

Registered:
Posts: 93
Reply with quote  #729 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SECFan04



I thought she was an Auburn commit unless something changed recently 


I think that's the question - has something changed recently ? She was an Auburn commit at one time .
Still_JAD

Registered:
Posts: 535
Reply with quote  #730 
Her dad graduated from Auburn's vet school, so I think she grew up an Auburn fan. She verballed while Myers was still the HC, so not sure if the coaching change on the Plains could weigh into her decision. Will also be interesting to see how competitive Dean will make Auburn for the next two years and if she loves Auburn, or prefers a shot at going to OKC for the WCWS.
Soundedlikeastrike

Registered:
Posts: 2
Reply with quote  #731 
I have been reading all the bad will towards Dean and was wondering where it comes from? He has only been there 1 year and from the outside looking in, it appears he is trying to put out a dumpster fire of a situation he inherited. He has been successful everywhere he has gone so why not give him a couple of years before trying to pass judgment on his coaching.
ShepJones1_1

Registered:
Posts: 181
Reply with quote  #732 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundedlikeastrike
I have been reading all the bad will towards Dean and was wondering where it comes from? He has only been there 1 year and from the outside looking in, it appears he is trying to put out a dumpster fire of a situation he inherited. He has been successful everywhere he has gone so why not give him a couple of years before trying to pass judgment on his coaching.

Nice first post Coach Dean!
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 1,937
Reply with quote  #733 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundedlikeastrike
I have been reading all the bad will towards Dean and was wondering where it comes from? He has only been there 1 year and from the outside looking in, it appears he is trying to put out a dumpster fire of a situation he inherited. He has been successful everywhere he has gone so why not give him a couple of years before trying to pass judgment on his coaching.


Exactly
Dusty

Registered:
Posts: 185
Reply with quote  #734 
I haven't noticed any particular ill will towards Dean on this thread.  The criticism he's gotten here about keeping pitchers recruited by Myers is fair game, it's certainly something I would be concerned about if I was an AU fan or parent.

MD does seem to be one of those coaches that for every devoted fan there are 3-4 diehard haters.  Living in Virginia during his JMU tenure I heard much stronger anti-Dean sentiment in person at the ballpark talking to parents of his recruits than anything I've read here.  I remember a travel coach telling me about the JMU camp experience his players had where he said if Dean didn't know who you were before coming to his camp then you should expect to be treated like Flounder and Pinto at the Omega house rush party.  That and the fact that JMU seemed to be the place where great Va HS and travel careers go to die led my dd to never consider JMU.

The kind of players who do well with MD, such has Ford and Good, don't seem to be the type of players Myers recruited at AU.  Ford (who he didn't recruit) played with a chip on her shoulder after being spurned by UVA and Good was probably 50/50 softball vs volleyball late in HS and really wanted to go to JMU.  A pitcher from a big SE travel team who had multiple SEC offers since her freshman year of HS and possibly a sense of entitlement is not a good fit for MD under any circumstances.

Dean absolutely can coach though.  Anyone who can win consistently at Radford must know a thing or two about coaching.  I'd like to see him turn AU around but my gut feeling from the beginning was that the Myers fiasco was so bad that the type of coach who would turn things around for them wouldn't be the hot mid-major coach who jumped at the chance to double his pay and compete in the SEC but the proven commodity coach they open their wallets to hire after him.
Tigers334

Registered:
Posts: 374
Reply with quote  #735 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty
I haven't noticed any particular ill will towards Dean on this thread.  The criticism he's gotten here about keeping pitchers recruited by Myers is fair game, it's certainly something I would be concerned about if I was an AU fan or parent.

MD does seem to be one of those coaches that for every devoted fan there are 3-4 diehard haters.  Living in Virginia during his JMU tenure I heard much stronger anti-Dean sentiment in person at the ballpark talking to parents of his recruits than anything I've read here.  I remember a travel coach telling me about the JMU camp experience his players had where he said if Dean didn't know who you were before coming to his camp then you should expect to be treated like Flounder and Pinto at the Omega house rush party.  That and the fact that JMU seemed to be the place where great Va HS and travel careers go to die led my dd to never consider JMU.

The kind of players who do well with MD, such has Ford and Good, don't seem to be the type of players Myers recruited at AU.  Ford (who he didn't recruit) played with a chip on her shoulder after being spurned by UVA and Good was probably 50/50 softball vs volleyball late in HS and really wanted to go to JMU.  A pitcher from a big SE travel team who had multiple SEC offers since her freshman year of HS and possibly a sense of entitlement is not a good fit for MD under any circumstances.

Dean absolutely can coach though.  Anyone who can win consistently at Radford must know a thing or two about coaching.  I'd like to see him turn AU around but my gut feeling from the beginning was that the Myers fiasco was so bad that the type of coach who would turn things around for them wouldn't be the hot mid-major coach who jumped at the chance to double his pay and compete in the SEC but the proven commodity coach they open their wallets to hire after him.


I agree with a lot of this. Dean hit a homeruns hiring Glasco and then lost him before he could really pay dividends. I was disappointed on a couple of fronts last year. First off, we lost multiple games due to poor baserunning. There is a difference between aggressive and stupid and Dean toed that line a little too much for me. The other thing was how he handled the pitching. I get that he didn’t have much to do with the cupcake non-conference schedule, but with that being said, he pitched Carlson and Mak way too many innings early in the year, which I think hurt us late in the season due to fatigue and the younger pitchers having very few innings to gain experience.

I hope he turns it around but Auburn is a tough place after a team has success. Once a coach proves it can be done, AU fans expect it to be replicated. I do think it helps that our baseball team is now top tier as it give AU fans something to focus on during that part of the year.
Kurosawa

Registered:
Posts: 3,187
Reply with quote  #736 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_JAD
Heard a rumor that Kelly Lynch is talking with Washington, Florida, and Alabama.


Her East Coweta HS teammate, Lilly Agan, has been committed to Washington for some time, perhaps making a Georgia -> Seattle visit more likely. 
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 17,789
Reply with quote  #737 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty
Anyone who can win consistently at Radford must know a thing or two about coaching.


You have no clue how much I hope this is true.
Dusty

Registered:
Posts: 185
Reply with quote  #738 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrot


You have no clue how much I hope this is true.


I would define winning consistently as making it through at least one recruiting cycle instead of a couple of resume padding years before moving on.
Soundedlikeastrike

Registered:
Posts: 2
Reply with quote  #739 
Is your definition of a recruiting cycle 4 years?

6 years at Radford 241-116 .675% winning percentage
5 years at JMU 237-56 .809% winning percentage

Granted not week in and week out against the SEC but still fairly impressive. And his teams held their own against the SEC and PAC 10 when matched up against them I believe.

jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 17,789
Reply with quote  #740 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundedlikeastrike
Is your definition of a recruiting cycle 4 years?

6 years at Radford 241-116 .675% winning percentage
5 years at JMU 237-56 .809% winning percentage

Granted not week in and week out against the SEC but still fairly impressive. And his teams held their own against the SEC and PAC 10 when matched up against them I believe.



You missed the point and/or couldn't read between the lines.
Devin22

Registered:
Posts: 1,292
Reply with quote  #741 
Coach Dean explains to the media how to win in 2019...

SECFan04

Registered:
Posts: 524
Reply with quote  #742 
Did you spend all week working on this? 
fireballroberts

Registered:
Posts: 26
Reply with quote  #743 
Who ever put Auburn in the middle of the pack for this coming season knew what they were talking about with this team or should I say coach. They play in a couple of weeks and have yet to take a ground ball. They are working on stepping and throwing without the ball and doing long toss. He has put Coach Eddie over the infield, and the female coach over the outfield. She struggles to hit weak grounders. Our head coach has taken over the hitting, the same coach that last year said he didn't know much about hitting. I feel soooo sorry for the girls that were there before and now going thru this mess. I hope there is enough talent on this team to overcome our new head coach's shortcomings. Oh, he also announced a lot of players are going to be playing new positions. Good Luck ladies. 

supernatural

Registered:
Posts: 288
Reply with quote  #744 
Middle of the pack is optimistic.
SECFan04

Registered:
Posts: 524
Reply with quote  #745 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireballroberts
Who ever put Auburn in the middle of the pack for this coming season knew what they were talking about with this team or should I say coach. They play in a couple of weeks and have yet to take a ground ball. They are working on stepping and throwing without the ball and doing long toss. He has put Coach Eddie over the infield, and the female coach over the outfield. She struggles to hit weak grounders. Our head coach has taken over the hitting, the same coach that last year said he didn't know much about hitting. I feel soooo sorry for the girls that were there before and now going thru this mess. I hope there is enough talent on this team to overcome our new head coach's shortcomings. Oh, he also announced a lot of players are going to be playing new positions. Good Luck ladies. 



I don't know if any of this is true but it would not surprise me one bit. Dean is anal about everything done, and its usually his way or the highway. It was always this way down at JMU. I would be very worried if he wants to control the offense and call all the shots, but hey he is the head coach, he can do what he sees fit.

When things start to fall apart no one else to blame but one person. Still expect a couple current commits to flip elsewhere soon.
Still_JAD

Registered:
Posts: 535
Reply with quote  #746 
Coach Dean walks to the beat of a different drummer.  He was successful at JMU (with superior pitching), but it will be interesting to see how it translates long term in the SEC.  He has also pissed off a lot of the softball donors, so my bet is he is not there after his current contract.
Jdf1316

Registered:
Posts: 6
Reply with quote  #747 
Give the guy a break.  It's not like he didn't come into a dumpster fire.  The fact that they won 41 games should not be lost.
Still_JAD

Registered:
Posts: 535
Reply with quote  #748 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdf1316
Give the guy a break.  It's not like he didn't come into a dumpster fire.  The fact that they won 41 games should not be lost.


Auburn played a cupcake out of conference schedule and had a returning senior pitcher who was drafted by the NPF...I will be more impressed with what Dean does this season, because I think Martin was a better pitcher as a sophomore than she was as a junior.  If she cannot carry the load in the circle this season Auburn will be lucky to finish in the middle of the pack in the SEC.
Jdf1316

Registered:
Posts: 6
Reply with quote  #749 
An out of conference schedule that was likely in place before he took the job.
SECFan04

Registered:
Posts: 524
Reply with quote  #750 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdf1316
Give the guy a break.  It's not like he didn't come into a dumpster fire.  The fact that they won 41 games should not be lost.


 I personally don't see how Martin can hold down the fort the entire year, especially with the offense. 

It will be a rough year for Auburn unless the bats magically turn the corner and someone emerges as a #2 to compliment Martin. 


There are just too many issues w/ Auburn right now that I don't see them finishing middle of the pack. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.