Ultimate College Softball
Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 2 of 4      Prev   1   2   3   4   Next
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 16,231
Reply with quote  #31 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo


It's called Thoracic Outlet Syndrome surgery. Talee Snow had it as did Kenzie's Fowler years before.


Based on what I've heard Andrea Kindrick from Bama (I'm sure that's sacreligious on an AU thread) retired due to TOS.
MAXX

Registered:
Posts: 102
Reply with quote  #32 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsoffish
Frankly, not sure what I am talking about.  Just what I heard. Has to do with too much muscle being affected by or affecting her ribs.  Like I said, do not know what I am talking about. I think I suggested that in my post. 


No worries, it just bothers me that we continue to perpetuate myths. Athletes could progress so much more if we didn't instill these types of barriers, ie, "weight training makes you too bulky or limits flexibility."

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns
Ever see Jose Canseco in the 1990s??? LOL


Canseco, McGuire, Sosa, Bonds, et al........they weren't juicing for hand/eye coordination. There is a direct coorelation between strength/power and on-field performance.  I think these guys were pretty successful players despite being "muscle bound." 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo
It's called Thoracic Outlet Syndrome surgery. Talee Snow had it as did Kenzie's Fowler years before.


Thank you for the info. Did some research on it.....has nothing to do with amount of muscle. Looks like several MLB pitchers have had experience with the condition.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 7,794
Reply with quote  #33 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXX


No worries, it just bothers me that we continue to perpetuate myths. Athletes could progress so much more if we didn't instill these types of barriers, ie, "weight training makes you too bulky or limits flexibility."



Canseco, McGuire, Sosa, Bonds, et al........they weren't juicing for hand/eye coordination. There is a direct coorelation between strength/power and on-field performance.  I think these guys were pretty successful players despite being "muscle bound." 

And, Canseco's muscle build-up absolutely limited his mobility in that exchange. He had 125 SBs his first six years and was a statue in his final 10 years, with a 67 percent dropoff in that one easily measurable stat, and relegation to the occasional heading a ball over the wall in the outfield, but mostly a pure DH. Bonds held up longer, averaging 34 SBs a year for his first 13 seasons (through the year of McGwire-Sosa HR derby in 1998), to 9 per in his final 8 years. Sosa averaged 24 SBs his first nine seasons, also through that 'magical' 1998. He had 17 total in his next seven years.

Odd to go off on this tangent, since it isn't in play for the situation in question on this thread
all4AU

Registered:
Posts: 695
Reply with quote  #34 
I'm not sure, but I have heard that it may be anxiety related. Hoping for the best for Tannon. 
__________________
War Eagle!
MAXX

Registered:
Posts: 102
Reply with quote  #35 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns
And, Canseco's muscle build-up absolutely limited his mobility in that exchange. He had 125 SBs his first six years and was a statue in his final 10 years, with a 67 percent dropoff in that one easily measurable stat, and relegation to the occasional heading a ball over the wall in the outfield, but mostly a pure DH. Bonds held up longer, averaging 34 SBs a year for his first 13 seasons (through the year of McGwire-Sosa HR derby in 1998), to 9 per in his final 8 years. Sosa averaged 24 SBs his first nine seasons, also through that 'magical' 1998. He had 17 total in his next seven years.

Odd to go off on this tangent, since it isn't in play for the situation in question on this thread


I apologize for taking this off topic again, but if you read my previous post - "A person cannot be "bound" by too much muscle.....it is a myth that flexibility to move is limited by excess muscle.  Performance, however, can be bound by the increased weight of your muscles."

Those guys didn't decrease in stolen bases due to a decrease in mobility....it was due to an increase in bodyweight relative to their strength/power. This article gives a good explanation - http://gregstevens.com/2012/12/28/what-does-musclebound-mean/
gtwstock

Registered:
Posts: 66
Reply with quote  #36 
Outstanding week in the circle headed to Sunday.  5 straight shutouts and a team ERA of 0.71 after 15 games.   The two returning starters continue to be lights out and Ashlee Swindle continues to develop nicely, with a BAA of .179.   Cooper is hitting again and Courtney Shea and Haley Fagan are making sure that teams cannot pitch around Cooper.
gtwstock

Registered:
Posts: 66
Reply with quote  #37 
Looks like Tannon Snow is going to sit out the season and play in 2018.   It's expected that AU softball and the Snow's to will put out a statement next week with more particulars.
TxProud

Registered:
Posts: 27
Reply with quote  #38 
Will be in Auburn this weekend for the games. Any suggestions on the best places to eat??
Tigers334

Registered:
Posts: 151
Reply with quote  #39 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxProud
Will be in Auburn this weekend for the games. Any suggestions on the best places to eat??


In Auburn, Acre, the Depot, and the Hound are pretty good for sit down options. Mama G's and Chicken Salad Chick are Auburn originals. If you don't mind making the 15 minute drive, downtown Opelika has the best restaurants. Cafe 123, Ma Fias, Irish Bread Pub, and a New Mexican restaurant are all great there. Plus there is a brewery and distillery that are pretty fun down there as well. Enjoy the trip!
TxProud

Registered:
Posts: 27
Reply with quote  #40 
Great info. Thanks Tigers!
TideKid

Registered:
Posts: 1,901
Reply with quote  #41 
the sec swim/dive championships are in town, along with a horse show! heads up that eateries might have a solid wait. ill be there saturday cheering on osterman and her bobcats!
__________________
***************
we LOVE free bases
Bama_CF

Registered:
Posts: 377
Reply with quote  #42 
Just checked and Auburn has now moved up to 11th place in the SEC in batting average. Congrats.
__________________

 

all4AU

Registered:
Posts: 695
Reply with quote  #43 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_CF
Just checked and Auburn has now moved up to 11th place in the SEC in batting average. Congrats.


Thank you for keeping tabs on us and being so concerned with all of our issues. I'm sure your team is flawless. ๐Ÿ˜‰

On a serious note, I'm looking forward to the start of SEC play. AU/LSU should be a fun series.

__________________
War Eagle!
Tigers334

Registered:
Posts: 151
Reply with quote  #44 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_CF
Just checked and Auburn has now moved up to 11th place in the SEC in batting average. Congrats.


Not everyone can hit as well as Bama against that stellar schedule you guys have played.
Bama_CF

Registered:
Posts: 377
Reply with quote  #45 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers334
Not everyone can hit as well as Bama against that stellar schedule you guys have played.



If we had been the dominant offensive team in the SEC and NCAA the last 2 years and were anemic offensively all of a sudden, I would be concerned. But I told my buddy when I posted that, you couldn't find an AU fan that will acknowledge a problem. They will just have a snarky reply. 

Our schedule has been pretty weak so far. So has yours. You've played 4 games against good teams and lost 2, and 17 against the dregs of the earth. About the same for Bama. None of this addresses why AU has gone from being a massive power offensively to being below average. 

__________________

 

1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 1,403
Reply with quote  #46 
Lol.
all4AU

Registered:
Posts: 695
Reply with quote  #47 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_CF



If we had been the dominant offensive team in the SEC and NCAA the last 2 years and were anemic offensively all of a sudden, I would be concerned. But I told my buddy when I posted that, you couldn't find an AU fan that will acknowledge a problem. They will just have a snarky reply. 

Our schedule has been pretty weak so far. So has yours. You've played 4 games against good teams and lost 2, and 17 against the dregs of the earth. About the same for Bama. None of this addresses why AU has gone from being a massive power offensively to being below average. 


Our offense does have different points of concern. Your post was snarky from the start. It's not like you came in to really discuss softball other than try and stir the pot.

__________________
War Eagle!
dawgs

Registered:
Posts: 632
Reply with quote  #48 
   #47 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_CF



If we had been the dominant offensive team in the SEC and NCAA the last 2 years and were anemic offensively all of a sudden, I would be concerned. But I told my buddy when I posted that, you couldn't find an AU fan that will acknowledge a problem. They will just have a snarky reply. 

Our schedule has been pretty weak so far. So has yours. You've played 4 games against good teams and lost 2, and 17 against the dregs of the earth. About the same for Bama. None of this addresses why AU has gone from being a massive power offensively to being below average. 


Our offense does have different points of concern. Your post was snarky from the start. It's not like you came in to really discuss softball other than try and stir the pot. 

__________________
War Eagle!


Already looking forward to the match-up on May 5, 6, 7 between these two teams.  Should be a big series in Tuscaloosa as it's the last regular season weekend of SEC play.
Tigers334

Registered:
Posts: 151
Reply with quote  #49 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_CF



If we had been the dominant offensive team in the SEC and NCAA the last 2 years and were anemic offensively all of a sudden, I would be concerned. But I told my buddy when I posted that, you couldn't find an AU fan that will acknowledge a problem. They will just have a snarky reply. 

Our schedule has been pretty weak so far. So has yours. You've played 4 games against good teams and lost 2, and 17 against the dregs of the earth. About the same for Bama. None of this addresses why AU has gone from being a massive power offensively to being below average. 


I've acknowledged on at least 3 different discussions that the offense is a huge concern and that I think that we are ranked too high at the moment. You've played one good team 3 times and got destroyed in two of them. It's just funny that you came on here with a snark comment and expected Auburn fans to respond in agreement with you.
gtwstock

Registered:
Posts: 66
Reply with quote  #50 
Great win tonight for Auburn.  Back and forth game with some mistakes and some great plays as well.   Looking forward to the next two games.   
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 7,794
Reply with quote  #51 
Just don't get why you start your third pitcher to begin such a huge series
supernatural

Registered:
Posts: 29
Reply with quote  #52 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_CF



If we had been the dominant offensive team in the SEC and NCAA the last 2 years and were anemic offensively all of a sudden, I would be concerned. But I told my buddy when I posted that, you couldn't find an AU fan that will acknowledge a problem. They will just have a snarky reply. 

Our schedule has been pretty weak so far. So has yours. You've played 4 games against good teams and lost 2, and 17 against the dregs of the earth. About the same for Bama. None of this addresses why AU has gone from being a massive power offensively to being below average. 

You do realize batting average is a pretty terrible statistic right? Auburn is #1 in wOBA in the SEC by a pretty decent margin, saying they are anemic is extremely far from the truth.
bluedog

Registered:
Posts: 8,298
Reply with quote  #53 
Quote:
Just don't get why you start your third pitcher to begin such a huge series


Might not have mattered, but, it wasn't a good decision...........
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 7,794
Reply with quote  #54 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog


Might not have mattered, but, it wasn't a good decision...........
Yes
TheNarrator

Registered:
Posts: 1,683
Reply with quote  #55 
Lets see...two keyboard warriors or the best coach in college softball.

Yeah, I'll go with you two humps.
TheNarrator

Registered:
Posts: 1,683
Reply with quote  #56 
Take the hit 3LT - not a good look for you
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 7,794
Reply with quote  #57 
LOL. Pretty uber-sensitive response by you, including the ridiculous hyperbole.
ZTE

Registered:
Posts: 597
Reply with quote  #58 
Wipeout 8-0 LSU
gtwstock

Registered:
Posts: 66
Reply with quote  #59 
Nice series win although things got sloppy in game 3.  LSU did a great job of fouling off pitches to get better pitches to hit.   Auburn is still looking to clean some things up in the lineup.   As well as Carlee Wallace and Haley Fagan are hitting the ball, we need to set the table better for them.

The cool weather (mid 40's) today certainly made for some less than ideal circumstances.  Auburn gets UT in Columbia TN on Tuesday and at Mid. Tenn. St on Wednesday before heading to USF for a tournament next weekend.   Expecting temps in the 30's during both games mid-week.   Spring left the south in a hurry.  Not a home game here for the next 26 days.
all4AU

Registered:
Posts: 695
Reply with quote  #60 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtwstock
Nice series win although things got sloppy in game 3.  LSU did a great job of fouling off pitches to get better pitches to hit.   Auburn is still looking to clean some things up in the lineup.   As well as Carlee Wallace and Haley Fagan are hitting the ball, we need to set the table better for them.

The cool weather (mid 40's) today certainly made for some less than ideal circumstances.  Auburn gets UT in Columbia TN on Tuesday and at Mid. Tenn. St on Wednesday before heading to USF for a tournament next weekend.   Expecting temps in the 30's during both games mid-week.   Spring left the south in a hurry.  Not a home game here for the next 26 days.


This was indeed a huge series win for Auburn. Both game winning runs for Auburn came off of LSU errors, but I'll take it nonetheless.

__________________
War Eagle!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation: