Ultimate College Softball
Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 7 of 56     «   Prev   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   Next   »
gtwstock

Registered:
Posts: 227
Reply with quote  #181 
Nice win after struggling for a while tonight.  Seeing Casey McCrackin hit the ball hard twice, especially the clutch 7th inning HR to tie it was important whether she starts at 2nd going forward or not.  Cooper was 3-3 and of course the walk-off Grand Slam by Carlee Wallace was just plain fun!  War Eagle!


all4AU

Registered:
Posts: 777
Reply with quote  #182 

__________________
War Eagle!
gtwstock

Registered:
Posts: 227
Reply with quote  #183 
Great win today and nice to get a sweep vs. MSU.   Kasey Cooper gets the all time SEC RBI record early and she leads fellow seniors Haley Fagan, Jenna Abbott, Madi Gibson and Sydney Waldrop in their final home regular season game!  War Eagle ladies!!!  Thank you and congratulations to you, your families and significant others who helped achieve what you've accomplished at Auburn.
gtwstock

Registered:
Posts: 227
Reply with quote  #184 
Well that was a game that was the epitome of what Myers lives by.  Excellent pitching, timely hitting and defense.   Defense came up big with Veach and you could tell she was finding her range vs. the lefty from Kentucky.  She's so much more effective when she works CF to RCF as she can turn on anything.  I hope he gets a hot streak going from here.

I expect rain Friday to stop play unless they decide they can play early tomorrow.  Will that mean two games for each team in the finals on Saturday or will they just play a Sunday game?  And if Sunday, what happens with the banquet?
all4AU

Registered:
Posts: 777
Reply with quote  #185 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtwstock
Well that was a game that was the epitome of what Myers lives by.  Excellent pitching, timely hitting and defense.   Defense came up big with Veach and you could tell she was finding her range vs. the lefty from Kentucky.  She's so much more effective when she works CF to RCF as she can turn on anything.  I hope he gets a hot streak going from here.

I expect rain Friday to stop play unless they decide they can play early tomorrow.  Will that mean two games for each team in the finals on Saturday or will they just play a Sunday game?  And if Sunday, what happens with the banquet?


In 2013, they had the semis and finals both on Saturday. They want the finals to take place Saturday night during prime time tv. I don't see them doing anything Sunday, and we need to win the semifinal game before we worry about anything affecting the Softball Banquet.

__________________
War Eagle!
gtwstock

Registered:
Posts: 227
Reply with quote  #186 
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4AU
In 2013, they had the semis and finals both on Saturday. They want the finals to take place Saturday night during prime time tv. I don't see them doing anything Sunday, and we need to win the semifinal game before we worry about anything affecting the Softball Banquet.


No doubt about that.  Beating UT (as it appears now) is going to be a tall task for sure.   Just thinking about what happens with pitching if you sit out a day?  Do we throw Kaylee in the semi's?  I would.
all4AU

Registered:
Posts: 777
Reply with quote  #187 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtwstock


No doubt about that.  Beating UT (as it appears now) is going to be a tall task for sure.   Just thinking about what happens with pitching if you sit out a day?  Do we throw Kaylee in the semi's?  I would.


That scenario wouldn't shock me to see Kaylee start the semifinal if it were played Saturday. She only threw 88 pitches tonight so I'm sure she could go on Friday.

__________________
War Eagle!
AUWhiskey

Registered:
Posts: 48
Reply with quote  #188 
It seems to me we're going to need Martin at some point, if we make any kind of run in the NCAAs.  LSU beat her up pretty badly back in March or whenever we played them.  Is it better to give Martin some more tournament work now?  Or is LSU the wrong team to put her in against?  LSU saw Swindle and scored 3 off her in the 8-0 debacle.  Tough call for Coach; a lot depends on what his priorities are.  Martin got the win against Alabama in the second game.  The rain may affect the choice,and he may want to see whom he might play in the finals before naming a starter for the semis.

Overall, I like the choice of Carlson again in the semis,and Martin in the finals.
gtwstock

Registered:
Posts: 227
Reply with quote  #189 
Well that was a collective butt whipping.  I had no idea getting called off of a fly ball to right could so completely dissolve a players defensive skills.  Congrats to LSU and Ole Miss for making the finals, they both deserved it.   Hopefully, we can regroup and somehow figure out a way to swing the bats.  Turning on an inside, belt high pitch would be a good start.  I've about had it with softly hit balls to the opposite field.
Tigers334

Registered:
Posts: 312
Reply with quote  #190 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtwstock
Well that was a collective butt whipping.  I had no idea getting called off of a fly ball to right could so completely dissolve a players defensive skills.  Congrats to LSU and Ole Miss for making the finals, they both deserved it.   Hopefully, we can regroup and somehow figure out a way to swing the bats.  Turning on an inside, belt high pitch would be a good start.  I've about had it with softly hit balls to the opposite field.


By far the most frustrating part for me today was that we were playing Veach halfway to second base, while pitching them away. No idea what we were thinking there, but I'd prefer we move away from that strategy. Also, the fact that Courtney Shea is in the lineup is a real head scratcher. I can live with the 8-9 hitters being really bad because they have to play defense, but why are we sacrificing the DP spot every game? Abbott is a much better hitter and I honestly don't remember the last time Shea went up to the plate and I felt any sort of confidence she was going to get a hit. I have no idea how the season is going to end. I wouldn't be shocked if we lose next week at regionals and I wouldn't be surprised if we make it back to OKC. Either way, I am hoping we can at least get back to playing good defense next year. The dumb mistakes make us difficult to watch at times.
AUWhiskey

Registered:
Posts: 48
Reply with quote  #191 

I've had the same question about Shea.  For the record, we've had 22 hits in the last 5 games.  Eight of those came in the second game win over Alabama.

CrowHop

Registered:
Posts: 78
Reply with quote  #192 
So, does Myers dare put Crocker back out at 2B?   [eek]
__________________
Your pitcher is illegal.
Still_JAD

Registered:
Posts: 358
Reply with quote  #193 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers334


By far the most frustrating part for me today was that we were playing Veach halfway to second base, while pitching them away. No idea what we were thinking there, but I'd prefer we move away from that strategy. Also, the fact that Courtney Shea is in the lineup is a real head scratcher. I can live with the 8-9 hitters being really bad because they have to play defense, but why are we sacrificing the DP spot every game? Abbott is a much better hitter and I honestly don't remember the last time Shea went up to the plate and I felt any sort of confidence she was going to get a hit. I have no idea how the season is going to end. I wouldn't be shocked if we lose next week at regionals and I wouldn't be surprised if we make it back to OKC. Either way, I am hoping we can at least get back to playing good defense next year. The dumb mistakes make us difficult to watch at times.


We all know why Cortney Shea is in the lineup...
gtwstock

Registered:
Posts: 227
Reply with quote  #194 
Nice to see Jenna Abbott and Courtney Shea hit the ball hard today.   Jenna hasn't been productive in conference play at all either, so I'm sure the power options slants coaches opinions more than any donations.  I saw a few turns on inside pitches today, even a foul bomb by Cooper.  Let's hope we pull that trigger more often and take advantage of pitching patterns we've seen for a while.

Weather and the NCAA mystify me.  Monday will likely be necessary to finish the regional properly.  I'm not sure it will be allowed to do so and actually have been told that if they don't complete the regional Sunday, that's it.   So we better beat Cal.   And that game should have been at 10am if they really want to make sure it's played.
G8terfan23

Registered:
Posts: 2,301
Reply with quote  #195 
"if they don't complete the regional Sunday that's it" I'm confused if weather delays the game or games why can't it be played on Monday?
gtwstock

Registered:
Posts: 227
Reply with quote  #196 
The NCAA rep here for the tournament said that if the games weren't completed due to rain that they would either select the team that was in the best position to win it (i.e. winner's bracket winner) or if still undetermined, just go with the highest seed (this was when both Saturday and Sunday were looking rough weather-wise).   With Monday's weather looking good, I see no reason to not complete the tournament.  Apparently, the NCAA doesn't like to pay for changes in travel plans.   Given the billion dollars per year they get from basketball, this kind of financially driven decision amazes me.
G8terfan23

Registered:
Posts: 2,301
Reply with quote  #197 
So it'll be like a 2-0 team advancing vs them being 3-0 or 3-1?
G8terfan23

Registered:
Posts: 2,301
Reply with quote  #198 
Where can I confirm this? This seems like a rock paper, scissors type deal
Prowler

Registered:
Posts: 1,396
Reply with quote  #199 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtwstock
The NCAA rep here for the tournament said that if the games weren't completed due to rain that they would either select the team that was in the best position to win it (i.e. winner's bracket winner) or if still undetermined, just go with the highest seed (this was when both Saturday and Sunday were looking rough weather-wise).   With Monday's weather looking good, I see no reason to not complete the tournament.  Apparently, the NCAA doesn't like to pay for changes in travel plans.   Given the billion dollars per year they get from basketball, this kind of financially driven decision amazes me.


It's not a guarantee that the hotels the teams are staying at have the rooms available past their reservation dates. I've been at hotels several times when I decided to stay over an extra night somewhere and been told no room available -- and that was just one room.
gtwstock

Registered:
Posts: 227
Reply with quote  #200 
We've got plenty of hotel rooms for a softball team or two.   We host SEC football games here.  School is back in for summer session, so it's not like a graduation is happening with a ton of relatives in town.

Not sure where to "confirm" it, but this is from Scout.com on Friday.

 I talked to one of the AU staff members this morning and was told that the plan is not to play any game after Sunday. If the weather keeps the regional from being completed the NCAA will select the team that advances. It will be either the No. 1 seed (Auburn) or a team that is undefeated in regional play. It doesn't make sense to me why the regional can't be finished on Monday, but the NCAA is calling the shots on this.

I sit next to the Softball Operations seats.  I'll see if I can get any extra specifics during the game that starts here at 11am and post this afternoon.
iasoftballer

Registered:
Posts: 57
Reply with quote  #201 
Here is the link to the host manual that breaks down the rules on how to proceed if weather is an issue - http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2017DIWSB_Host_Ops_Manual_16-17_20170324.pdf. Page 12 is where you will find the rule.
BillSmith

Registered:
Posts: 6,568
Reply with quote  #202 
Quote:
It doesn't make sense to me why the regional can't be finished on Monday, but the NCAA is calling the shots on this.


Softball isn't compelling, e.g. it is subsidized, not an NCAA money-maker as are hoops and football. Extending the days played intrudes on facility use, umpires' and volunteer's personal schedules, athletic department responsibilities, etc. TV might need to pack trucks and travel to next venue. Lots of reasons not to 'play on'.

__________________
Bill Smith
West Bay Nuggets
NorCal Women's Fastpitch Summer League
info: nuggetsoftball@aol.com

Sometimes you are the mole, sometimes the mushroom.
AUWhiskey

Registered:
Posts: 48
Reply with quote  #203 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iasoftballer
Here is the link to the host manual that breaks down the rules on how to proceed if weather is an issue - http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2017DIWSB_Host_Ops_Manual_16-17_20170324.pdf. Page 12 is where you will find the rule.


That link doesn't work.
gtwstock

Registered:
Posts: 227
Reply with quote  #204 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSmith


Softball isn't compelling, e.g. it is subsidized, not an NCAA money-maker as are hoops and football. Extending the days played intrudes on facility use, umpires' and volunteer's personal schedules, athletic department responsibilities, etc. TV might need to pack trucks and travel to next venue. Lots of reasons not to 'play on'.


I hope you are kidding.  The only costs are travel considerations for 1 team left and hotel/ meals etc.   The facility is on campus and  in good shape and prepared to be used for a Super Regional on Thursday.  Umpires are readily available, you are in the middle of SEC country.   Volunteers are readily available via the Lion's club.   The AD is one consideration as the SEC meetings start at some point soon in Destin, but not sure that would be an issue either as a super regional is scheduled in 3 days (Thursday start).  TV facilities are based out of a building about 500 yards north of the stadium.  We have our own SEC Network production facilities on campus and teach classes in conjunction with area TV stations, so we have plenty of students and other personnel and equipment readily available.
BillSmith

Registered:
Posts: 6,568
Reply with quote  #205 
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSmith


Softball isn't compelling, e.g. it is subsidized, not an NCAA money-maker as are hoops and football. Extending the days played intrudes on facility use, umpires' and volunteer's personal schedules, athletic department responsibilities, etc. TV might need to pack trucks and travel to next venue. Lots of reasons not to 'play on'.
 


Quote:
gtwstock: I hope you are kidding.  The only costs are travel considerations for 1 team left and hotel/ meals etc.   The facility is on campus and  in good shape and prepared to be used for a Super Regional on Thursday.  Umpires are readily available, you are in the middle of SEC country.   Volunteers are readily available via the Lion's club.   The AD is one consideration as the SEC meetings start at some point soon in Destin, but not sure that would be an issue either as a super regional is scheduled in 3 days (Thursday start).  TV facilities are based out of a building about 500 yards north of the stadium.  We have our own SEC Network production facilities on campus and teach classes in conjunction with area TV stations, so we have plenty of students and other personnel and equipment readily available.


I would not disagree that sanctity of competition should trump the dollars spent. However, I'm not kidding. Relating what admins have told me--repeatedly--to justify curtailing a tourney versus continuing when weather threatens.

Remember, you are relying on Mother Nature to cooperate 'the next day'. You list a number of factors that other programs/facilities may not offer. The procedure must meet the lowest common denominator of all regionals, not one superb situation.

Again, agree that competition should prevail where the opportunity could allow. Maybe ratings will be so off-the-charts the NCAA will change procedure. Doubt it based on past conversations.



__________________
Bill Smith
West Bay Nuggets
NorCal Women's Fastpitch Summer League
info: nuggetsoftball@aol.com

Sometimes you are the mole, sometimes the mushroom.
gtwstock

Registered:
Posts: 227
Reply with quote  #206 
I'd be OK if they had to limit it to one more day as then changes in travel, preparation etc. for Supers might be a factor.   To play 60 games in a season and not try for one extra game to decide a season (and remember, I'm pulling for the high seed and team that is 2-0 so they would get the free pass) is beyond pathetic.
her1fan

Registered:
Posts: 63
Reply with quote  #207 
Any word on who may be transferring out?  I heard about a MIF.....

Scupino

Registered:
Posts: 116
Reply with quote  #208 
Quote:
Originally Posted by her1fan
Any word on who may be transferring out?  I heard about a MIF.....



I heard of a SP...
1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 2,495
Reply with quote  #209 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scupino
I heard of a SP...



Since you are zte, and that Taylor McQuillin is quite close to Kaylee Carlson, you should know whether it's true or not!
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 11,255
Reply with quote  #210 
lol
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.