Ultimate College Softball
Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 705
Reply with quote  #1 
Want to congratulate Va Unity 18U for winning the ASA Gold National Championship in Clearwater, Fla. 

But was it REALLY necessary to take 2 current D1 Pitchers to get the job done? Especially when most of the top programs are currently in California playing PGF & JO Cup. 

What next, plastic surgery on an pro player to win a qualifier? 

No shame.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 10,834
Reply with quote  #2 
Pathetic.... for a once-great event
ChinMusic

Registered:
Posts: 531
Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofzone
Want to congratulate Va Unity 18U for winning the ASA Gold National Championship in Clearwater, Fla. 

But was it REALLY necessary to take 2 current D1 Pitchers to get the job done? Especially when most of the top programs are currently in California playing PGF & JO Cup. 

What next, plastic surgery on an pro player to win a qualifier? 

No shame.


Last I knew, ASA allowed college players meeting the 18U age cutoff to play 18-A NOT 18-Gold.  Has this changed?
Mangler

Registered:
Posts: 199
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofzone
Want to congratulate Va Unity 18U for winning the ASA Gold National Championship in Clearwater, Fla. 

But was it REALLY necessary to take 2 current D1 Pitchers to get the job done? Especially when most of the top programs are currently in California playing PGF & JO Cup. 

What next, plastic surgery on an pro player to win a qualifier? 

No shame.


Even sadder is even doing that they won Championship game only 1-0
musftblfan

Registered:
Posts: 1,159
Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler


Even sadder is even doing that they won Championship game only 1-0


Who were the pitchers?

__________________
live in Brooklyn, NY, raised in St. Louis. not a lot of people know I like softball this much..... 
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 705
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinMusic


Last I knew, ASA allowed college players meeting the 18U age cutoff to play 18-A NOT 18-Gold.  Has this changed?


 Age eligible kids allowed in 18 Gold is my understanding
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 705
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by musftblfan
Who were the pitchers?


Bilodeau--Jacksonville
Alexander--JMU


PDad

Registered:
Posts: 3,628
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinMusic
Last I knew, ASA allowed college players meeting the 18U age cutoff to play 18-A NOT 18-Gold.  Has this changed?

Yes, it changed this year. 

Article 301 D 02 d. Junior Olympic Classification.

d. Once a player participates in an intercollegiate softball program for a university or college, including junior or community college, the player is ineligible to play below the Class A level.

Comments: Defines where college players can participate in the Junior Olympic program.
PDad

Registered:
Posts: 3,628
Reply with quote  #9 
Only 41 18G teams this year. They haven't had a full field of teams since JO Cup was created.
http://gfp.tournamentusasoftball.com/i!/tournaments/tournamentDetails.php?TID=9997


spazsdad

Registered:
Posts: 4,462
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler


Even sadder is even doing that they won Championship game only 1-0

Guess the posters team should have put up something other than a goose egg. This thread wouldn't exist if they lost.
sbparent

Registered:
Posts: 128
Reply with quote  #11 
I have a question about ASA Gold, JO and PGF championships.  Which ones do you actually have to quality for? 

I know ASA Gold you use to have to win a tournament or place near the top.  Not sure any more. 

When PFG first started they just invited the better teams (good ole boy network actually) and a few qualified.  Do they still do that or do you have to "earn" your way to their championships?

Not even sure who is the governing body of JO; is it ASA?  How do you play in their championship?

jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 16,914
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbparent
I have a question about ASA Gold, JO and PGF championships.  Which ones do you actually have to quality for? 

I know ASA Gold you use to have to win a tournament or place near the top.  Not sure any more. 

When PFG first started they just invited the better teams (good ole boy network actually) and a few qualified.  Do they still do that or do you have to "earn" your way to their championships?

Not even sure who is the governing body of JO; is it ASA?  How do you play in their championship?



What i can answer (and be corrected on) is that JO Cup is governed by ASA.  And PGF still does invitation to teams who finish in the top 8 (is it top 8, someone correct me).  But there are still qualifying spots as well.
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 705
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrot


What i can answer (and be corrected on) is that JO Cup is governed by ASA.  And PGF still does invitation to teams who finish in the top 8 (is it top 8, someone correct).  But there are still qualifying spots as well.


Yes, JO Cup is governed by ASA.

 A PGF qualifier is still the main avenue to getting in that National Championship event. Not sure of the exact number but the top teams get invited back for sure. But there are still any number of teams who magically appear in the Premium Draw who didn't 'earn' their way in. The good 'ole boy network is still very much alive. 
PDad

Registered:
Posts: 3,628
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbparent
I have a question about ASA Gold, JO and PGF championships.  Which ones do you actually have to quality for? 

I know ASA Gold you use to have to win a tournament or place near the top.  Not sure any more. 

When PFG first started they just invited the better teams (good ole boy network actually) and a few qualified.  Do they still do that or do you have to "earn" your way to their championships?

Not even sure who is the governing body of JO; is it ASA?  How do you play in their championship?

ASA rebranded themselves USA Softball - I call them U-Sing a la U-Trip for USSSA. 

U-Sing's JO Cup is purely invitational. It was meant to draw teams from PGF, however it's mainly cannibalized from their Gold events.

U-Sing Gold is supposed to be 4 returning berths and 60 via qualifiers, however they haven't come close to finding takers for all the berths since JO Cup was added (only 41 18G teams this year). Obviously, "qualifying" isn't much of an issue.

PGF has a mix of returning berths (18U Premier: 12 + 1 18U Platinum; 6 @ others), invites and qualifiers. Western 18U qualifiers draw 32-64 teams each for 2-4 berths, so teams travel all over to chase berths like pre-PGF 18G. Qualifiers - http://www.premiergirlsfastpitch.com/home.php?layout=923173

jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 16,914
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDad

ASA rebranded themselves USA Softball - I call them U-Sing a la U-Trip for USSSA. 

U-Sing's JO Cup is purely invitational. It was meant to draw teams from PGF, however it's mainly cannibalized from their Gold events.

U-Sing Gold is supposed to be 4 returning berths and 60 via qualifiers, however they haven't come close to finding takers for all the berths since JO Cup was added (only 41 18G teams this year). Obviously, "qualifying" isn't much of an issue.

PGF has a mix of returning berths (18U Premier: 12 + 1 18U Platinum; 4 @ younger), invites and qualifiers. Western 18U qualifiers draw 32-64 teams each for 2-4 berths, so teams travel all over to chase berths like pre-PGF 18G. Qualifiers - http://www.premiergirlsfastpitch.com/home.php?layout=923173



Dang, 12 instead of 8.  Just for clarification - the 1 18U Platinum is the winner from the previous year, correct?
PDad

Registered:
Posts: 3,628
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrot
Dang, 12 instead of 8.  Just for clarification - the 1 18U Platinum is the winner from the previous year, correct?

Yes, the Platinum winners get a Premier berth at the same age group and are the only ones that can be used in a different division. Coaches can't take a berth with them if they age up like they can with USA/ASA.

18U Premier is only division that gets 12 berths. All the others get 6, but few are used since they can't be used at the next age group.



Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation: