Ultimate College Softball
Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 5 of 6     «   Prev   2   3   4   5   6   Next
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 16,225
Reply with quote  #121 
Big win for AZ. Needed to counteract that FSU loss.
OUsoftball

Registered:
Posts: 892
Reply with quote  #122 
5th one run loss by my Sooners this year. Just can't seem to get it all together. Costly errors and untimely hitting. Congrats to the Wildcats on the win. [smile]
ZTE

Registered:
Posts: 595
Reply with quote  #123 
Holly Rowe was so excited she missed videoing the entire last play which she tweeted
She felt the game was like the WCWS
BlueSky

Registered:
Posts: 325
Reply with quote  #124 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUsoftball
5th one run loss by my Sooners this year. Just can't seem to get it all together. Costly errors and untimely hitting. Congrats to the Wildcats on the win. [smile]


That early Arizona error was pretty costly.

__________________
 
BlueSky

Registered:
Posts: 325
Reply with quote  #125 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTE
Holly Rowe was so excited she missed videoing the entire last play which she tweeted
She felt the game was like the WCWS


I watched that and wondered why it was posted. Fail.

__________________
 
1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 1,390
Reply with quote  #126 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrot
Big win for AZ. Needed to counteract that FSU loss.



Jayrot it was a HUGE deal for the Cats to come from behind in the 7th and take the win, as they have not been able to close the door for a few years now.  I told my umpire friend and the other 2 guys I was with that the Cats winning today cements them as a team and the wcws goal is now a real possibility...finally!
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 16,225
Reply with quote  #127 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1janiedough



Jayrot it was a HUGE deal for the Cats to come from behind in the 7th and take the win, as they have not been able to close the door for a few years now.  I told my umpire friend and the other 2 guys I was with that the Cats winning today cements them as a team and the wcws goal is now a real possibility...finally!


I'd agree.  They've shown between that game and the FSU game that they have what is necessary to not only be in supers but possibly be in OKC.
silent_no_more

Registered:
Posts: 123
Reply with quote  #128 
1janiedough,  seeing how Arizona played today what are your thoughts on how the team looked?  Where are we at in your opinion?
__________________
Do you really think you really know what is going on?  Odds are you have no clue.
1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 1,390
Reply with quote  #129 
Quote:
Originally Posted by silent_no_more
1janiedough,  seeing how Arizona played today what are your thoughts on how the team looked?  Where are we at in your opinion?


You guys know I'm pretty fanatical on both the high and low ends, so when they are up they are awesome and when they are down they will never make it to wcws again...but I have tempered it over the years, realizing that it does not affect my life directly. 

So with that said, today when Mauga threw the ball away to an empty base and Oklahoma scored I was like OMG it's FSU all over again!  Thankfully it was only the first inning, and the Cats picked each other up...the freshman (besides Harper), struck out every time I think (maybe not[biggrin]), and different players like Statman stepped up.  It was definitely a team effort today because Tooly was not that sharp either.  She is throwing that change up for a ball too often these days.  Also, Mauga is just not that good at 3rd base.

I think new life has been breathed into this program, and the freshman and Tooly's tunnel vision have everything to do with it.  I think the Cats are poised to make a deep run in OKC this year, but as we all know, if the team tunnel vision sways at all, it won't happen.  The Cat's are loaded up and down the order and glory is theirs for the taking...if they seize their destiny.[smile]

Bear Down!



silent_no_more

Registered:
Posts: 123
Reply with quote  #130 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1janiedough


You guys know I'm pretty fanatical on both the high and low ends, so when they are up they are awesome and when they are down they will never make it to wcws again...but I have tempered it over the years, realizing that it does not affect my life directly. 

So with that said, today when Mauga threw the ball away to an empty base and Oklahoma scored I was like OMG it's FSU all over again!  Thankfully it was only the first inning, and the Cats picked each other up...the freshman (besides Harper), struck out every time I think (maybe not[biggrin]), and different players like Statman stepped up.  It was definitely a team effort today because Tooly was not that sharp either.  She is throwing that change up for a ball too often these days.  Also, Mauga is just not that good at 3rd base.

I think new life has been breathed into this program, and the freshman and Tooly's tunnel vision have everything to do with it.  I think the Cats are poised to make a deep run in OKC this year, but as we all know, if the team tunnel vision sways at all, it won't happen.  The Cat's are loaded up and down the order and glory is theirs for the taking...if they seize their destiny.[smile]

Bear Down!






Thanks for a well thought out reply.

__________________
Do you really think you really know what is going on?  Odds are you have no clue.
1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 1,390
Reply with quote  #131 
Quote:
Originally Posted by silent_no_more



Thanks for a well thought out reply.


Hey silent, there are a couple other factors I should mention, one being the stud firestarter Mandie Perez...that girl is TROUBLE on the base paths.  I have seen her make teams look absolutely foolish for being asleep on the field...and Mercado is so steadily consistent that you almost don't worry about her coming up to bat at ALL because she will get on base.

All the ingredients are there!
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 7,764
Reply with quote  #132 
Bad news for the Pac is that Mauga's pursuit of Chamberlain is cooked. So, now, she can just settle in and hit, just in time for conference play.
1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 1,390
Reply with quote  #133 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns
Bad news for the Pac is that Mauga's pursuit of Chamberlain is cooked. So, now, she can just settle in and hit, just in time for conference play.



Yeah no way will she get that record. I don't even think she will top 20 this year...she faded badly last season. Thankfully there are 3 other young bombers in the lineup...not just home run hitters, but multi base hitters.[smile]
ZTE

Registered:
Posts: 595
Reply with quote  #134 
#34 wants Chambers' record
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 7,764
Reply with quote  #135 
New hopeful start time is 3 p.m. PDT
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 7,764
Reply with quote  #136 
[C7Jo5hAU8AASbsw] 
BlueSky

Registered:
Posts: 325
Reply with quote  #137 

Arizona leads the in... - ERA (0.95) - Strikeouts (231) - Home Runs (44) - Slugging Percentage (.578) - Runs Scored (240)

 

__________________
 
ZTE

Registered:
Posts: 595
Reply with quote  #138 
Wildcats have won 8 of 18 weekly awards so far
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 7,764
Reply with quote  #139 
Yes, including the travesty in the first week
olddawg

Registered:
Posts: 613
Reply with quote  #140 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSky

Arizona leads the in... - ERA (0.95) - Strikeouts (231) - Home Runs (44) - Slugging Percentage (.578) - Runs Scored (240)

 
[/Wildcats have won 8 of 18 weekly awards so far    QUOTE]

This week we get to see their mettle get a real test.


Kurosawa

Registered:
Posts: 2,137
Reply with quote  #141 
National SOS:

2. Washington .668
17. Arizona .610
BlueSky

Registered:
Posts: 325
Reply with quote  #142 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa
National SOS:

2. Washington .668
17. Arizona .610


Someone pls help me out here, I'm a numbers guy. So the first thing I notice is that 15 teams spread the 0.058 SOS difference. Is it that meaningful, I mean, what is a large difference... 0.005?

Anyone know?

__________________
 
AleDawg

Registered:
Posts: 274
Reply with quote  #143 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSky


Someone pls help me out here, I'm a numbers guy. So the first thing I notice is that 15 teams spread the 0.058 SOS difference. Is it that meaningful, I mean, what is a large difference... 0.005?

Anyone know?

 

The factual difference is that SoS is 50% of the RPI. So, 50% of 0.058 is 0.029. or 2.9%.  This would indicate to me that UW is getting 2.9% more RPI points from SoS than Arizona. Totally disregarding bonus points for OOC top 25 and such.

However, I don't know what the actual final numbers are so "meaningful" is hard to gauge.

I think we would need to know the overall spread in RPI between #1 and #20 to see how meaningful that is.

If #20 has an RPI that is 50% of #1 then 2.9% isn't as big as  if #20 is 90% of #1.





__________________
"Never argue with a fool, they will lower you to their level and then beat you with experience."
ZTE

Registered:
Posts: 595
Reply with quote  #144 
[C7n2pPRWkAAQDnh]
BlueSky

Registered:
Posts: 325
Reply with quote  #145 
I agree, AleDawg. So based on the RPI formula, Arizona and Washington have similar indecies (sp?) at the time the RPI was posted.
__________________
 
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 7,764
Reply with quote  #146 

Just rooting for a split of the first two games! lol

EDIT: A UW win in Game 3

SoftballOneThree

Registered:
Posts: 998
Reply with quote  #147 
Washington is much better than they looked today. In spite of the easy win today, I expect tomorrow to be a close game.
1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 1,390
Reply with quote  #148 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftballOneThree
Washington is much better than they looked today. In spite of the easy win today, I expect tomorrow to be a close game.


Az has lacked the ability to close people out for quite a few years now, so indeed tomorrow will be a test of that instinct.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 7,764
Reply with quote  #149 
Disagree. Washington easily could be the better team tomorrow. It may have NOTHING to do with the ability to 'close out' a lesser opponent

Or, Arizona could win by run-rule, because they are an exponentially better team

It wouldn't NECESSARILY be because of any lack of 'killer instinct' on either side
1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 1,390
Reply with quote  #150 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns
Disagree. Washington easily could be the better team tomorrow. It may have NOTHING to do with the ability to 'close out' a lesser opponent

Of, Arizona could win by run-rule, because they are an exponentially better team


Washington is NOT a lesser opponent by any means, my comments were purely towards Az having difficulties closing any GOOD (or even winning 1 vs great competition) teams out for years now...the killer instinct is what they need back to advance all the way this year.[smile]
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation: