Ultimate College Softball
Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 1 of 4      1   2   3   4   Next
LCITSH

Registered:
Posts: 2,414
Reply with quote  #1 
http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/14539

Rank
 TeamCommentsPrior
1Florida LogoFloridaFlorida went 4-1 with a win over Georgia, Florida State, and a road series win at Kentucky.3
2Florida State LogoFlorida StateThe Seminoles had a rough week offensively as they went 1-2 against Florida and South Carolina.1
3Minnesota LogoMinnesotaThe Golden Gophers sit atop the Big Ten after sweeping Northwestern.6
4Arizona LogoArizonaArizona drops a tough series at Utah as the Utes have now played their way into contention in the Pac-12.2
5Auburn LogoAuburnAuburn took two of three from Missouri with a resounding 6-1 win on Sunday.4
6Washington LogoWashingtonUW goes down to Eugene and wins a huge series against Oregon as they seem to be back to their winning ways.12
7[texasam_110x110]Texas A&MTexas A&M took two of three on the road in Fayetteville over a pesky Arkansas squad.7
8Oklahoma LogoOklahomaOklahoma slides into first place in the Big 12 after sweeping Kansas in Lawrence this weekend.10
9Utah LogoUtahUtah picks up their first two wins in program history over Arizona as they are now 10-3 in Pac-12 play.15
10Oregon LogoOregonOregon drops another series to rival Washington as the Huskies found a way to get the clutch hits on Saturday.5
11Tennessee LogoTennesseeTennessee has taken the series from Alabama and they are on fire right now.13
12Baylor LogoBaylorBaylor dropped an excellent pitchers duel at Texas State on Wednesday. A trip to Oklahoma looms next week.9
13Alabama LogoAlabamaThe Crimson Tide dropped the first two games of their series at Tennessee in hard fought games.11
14UCLA LogoUCLAThe Bruins get lulled to sleep in Corvallis and drop two of three to the Beavers.8
15Louisiana LogoLouisianaThe Ragin' Cajuns take two of three from Texas State and are now 32-6 on the season and 14-1 in Sun Belt play.16
16Michigan LogoMichiganIt wasn't easy but Michigan grinded out a series win in College Park over a Maryland team that didn’t quit.17
17James Madison Softball Top 25James MadisonJames Madison had little trouble with Delaware as the offense was on fire against the Blue Hens.18
18BYU LogoBYUThe Cougars were dominant all week long against Southern Utah and Pacific.19
19Mississippi LogoOle MissOle Miss stepped up this week against a tough LSU lineup and got the job done with a sweep over the Tigers.25
20Kentucky LogoKentuckyThe Wildcats did get one game from Florida but will need to be better offensively moving forward.20
21LSU LogoLSULSU dropped three one run games on the road in Oxford as Ole Miss pitched very well all weekend long.14
22California Softball Top 25CaliforniaCal pick up three wins over Santa Clara and Fresno State as the pitching settled down this week.23
23Arizona State LogoArizona StateASU has a big series with Utah next week as they look to move up the Pac-12 ladder after sweeping Stanford.NR
24Illinois LogoIllinoisThe Illini have won seven straight games after sweeping MSU this weekend and they are rolling at the plate.NR
25Mississippi State LogoMississippi StateThe Bulldogs pick up a series win over UGA and now have 31 wins on the season and are getting better each week.NR

__________________
Terrell S. Hebert
Louisiana USSSA Church Coordinator
1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 2,537
Reply with quote  #2 
Lol...Washington jumps 6 spots, Ucla drops 6 spots, Utah jumps 6 spots, Oregon drops 5, Az drops 2...while FSU only drops 1 spot.  Dumb.
spazsdad

Registered:
Posts: 5,069
Reply with quote  #3 
I was going to post but then I realized this is the CSM poll.
__________________
#SCOTUS
LCITSH

Registered:
Posts: 2,414
Reply with quote  #4 
https://nfca.org/index.php?option=com_nfca&top25=1&list=1&year=2017&pdiv=div1&Itemid=230

2017 USA TODAY/NFCA DIVISION I TOP 25 COACHES POLL (WEEK 10)

The USA Today/NFCA Division I Coaches Poll is voted on by 32 NCAA Division I head coaches, one representing each conference. Records reflect games played through April 16.

RANKINGS

RankTeamRecordPointsPrevious
1Florida (26)40-37913
2Florida State (2)39-3-17471
3Arizona (1)41-37302
4Texas A&M37-46895
5Minnesota (2)38-36646
6Oregon37-46464
7Auburn36-75917
8Oklahoma38-754410
9Washington31-1053212
10Utah (1)28-852114
11Tennessee39-549516
12Alabama36-94359
13UCLA29-124298
14James Madison37-636415
15Baylor35-736213
16LSU32-1231511
17Louisiana32-626617
18Ole Miss30-1325722
19Michigan31-9-121518
20Kentucky26-1318921
21BYU31-1018520
22Georgia29-1510419
23Arizona State26-1210123
24Arkansas26-166724
25Illinois31-1025 

OTHERS RECEIVING VOTES:

Ohio State (21), California (19), Missouri (17), Texas State (14), South Carolina (12), Oregon State (12), North Carolina (11), Marshall (7), Wisconsin (6), Mississippi State (5), Tulsa (5), Florida International (3), Oklahoma State (2), Saint Francis (Pa.) (2).

DROPPED OUT:

No. 25 Ohio State


__________________
Terrell S. Hebert
Louisiana USSSA Church Coordinator
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 11,428
Reply with quote  #5 
Thank god for the RPI
midwestfp

Registered:
Posts: 538
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns
Thank god for the RPI


It amuses me to no end how some of you believe the RPI to be the inviolate word of God. Sorry, but this poll is more accurate.  A 12 loss UCLA team should not be ranked in the top 10.  Period.  You are going to be very surprised when the selections are made and teams are seeded.  
CajunAmos

Registered:
Posts: 1,022
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestfp


It amuses me to no end how some of you believe the RPI to be the inviolate word of God. Sorry, but this poll is more accurate.  A 12 loss UCLA team should not be ranked in the top 10.  Period.  You are going to be very surprised when the selections are made and teams are seeded.  


Actually, take a look back at the previous 3 or so years at where the top 16 seeds were in the RPI.
bluedog

Registered:
Posts: 9,979
Reply with quote  #8 
Yes, this poll is much more accurate..........
1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 2,537
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestfp


It amuses me to no end how some of you believe the RPI to be the inviolate word of God. Sorry, but this poll is more accurate.  A 12 loss UCLA team should not be ranked in the top 10.  Period.  You are going to be very surprised when the selections are made and teams are seeded.  


Midwestfp, the rpi is a pretty damn accurate standard that all of college athletics uses, so it must be doing something correct for all those sports.  Twelve losses is significant, however, who would you put in their place?  Eleven national championships brings an intangible to the table that teams who have not won can't really utilize until they have been there also.

I guarantee Ucla will be ready for the postseason.
1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 2,537
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog
Yes, this poll is much more accurate..........


Agreed!
midwestfp

Registered:
Posts: 538
Reply with quote  #11 
1         Florida(30)         798         53-5         1 
2         Michigan         758         46-6         2 
3         Oklahoma         703         47-7         5 
4         Oregon         687         44-8         3 
5         Auburn (2)         670         49-9         8 
6         Alabama         644         46-12         4 
7         Florida State         622         47-8         6 
8         James Madison         589         46-4         7 
9         Louisiana-Lafayette         527         43-7         9 
10         LSU         500         45-15         12 
11         Tennessee         478         41-14         10 
12         Washington         451         36-13         13 
13         Kentucky         439         43-12         11 
14         UCLA         389         35-13-1         14 
15         Georgia         322         40-17         15
16         Texas A&M         307         37-18         16 

Everyone tells me to go back and look at the RPI.  Now I am telling you to go back and look at the final polls.  I copied and pasted this from last year's final poll before the selections were made.  Compare this to the actual seeds.  Go ahead.  Look.  I will wait.  Are you back?  So you will agree that this poll almost perfectly predicted the seeds.  Yes, there were a few exceptions.  Louisiana was dropped several slots, TAMU was nudged out of hosting, but overall this poll was an extremely accurate predictor and will be again this year.  
bluedog

Registered:
Posts: 9,979
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
So you will agree that this poll almost perfectly predicted the seeds.


No..........What they did to UL and A&M was a travesty...........Seriously, it was.........
MadDogsDad

Registered:
Posts: 2,178
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog


No..........What they did to UL was a disgrace...........Seriously, it was.........


Not a disgrace. The same will happen to Minnesota this year. They are ranked in the top 5 right now, I see them winning out the regular season and finishing with 4 losses, but their RPI will pull them down to a 9 seed at best.

__________________
And if I don't like what you say then...

your kid sucks.
bluedog

Registered:
Posts: 9,979
Reply with quote  #14 
I'm just saying it shouldn't happen..............
MadDogsDad

Registered:
Posts: 2,178
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog
I'm just saying it shouldn't happen..............


Which? The polls or the RPI? Whichever benefits your team?

__________________
And if I don't like what you say then...

your kid sucks.
midwestfp

Registered:
Posts: 538
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDogsDad
Not a disgrace. The same will happen to Minnesota this year. They are ranked in the top 5 right now, I see them winning out the regular season and finishing with 4 losses, but their RPI will pull them down to a 9 seed at best.


I disagree but at least you're keeping the Gophers in the top 10.  Some believe that a top 5 ranked team is not even going to host a regional.  They will host a regional and a super... if they take care of WI tomorrow and win the Big 10 tournament.  My opinion only, of course.  
bluedog

Registered:
Posts: 9,979
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Which? The polls or the RPI? Whichever benefits your team? 


Well, I don't really have a team...........I just know "fair" when I see it.........
total1096

Registered:
Posts: 35
Reply with quote  #18 
I like that Utah is getting some love but who is the nut that gave them a first place vote? Ute fan here by the way.
MadDogsDad

Registered:
Posts: 2,178
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog


Well, I don't really have a team...........

Oh ok. Whatever. Which ranking are you taking as the softball gospel? Regardless 1-16 will be different, someone gets hosed.

__________________
And if I don't like what you say then...

your kid sucks.
1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 2,537
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by total1096
I like that Utah is getting some love but who is the nut that gave them a first place vote? Ute fan here by the way.


I saw that and love it!
midwestfp

Registered:
Posts: 538
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1janiedough


Midwestfp, the rpi is a pretty damn accurate standard that all of college athletics uses, so it must be doing something correct for all those sports.


I agree it is a darn fine tool and is very useful.  Where we disagree is that you believe it is gospel.  I have not followed RPI in softball but I have for college basketball.  And the RPI has never been the sole determination of seeding in basketball.  Case in point this year if the RPI was used, Gonzaga would not have received a number 1 seed.  They would have been a 2 at best, possibly a 3.  
1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 2,537
Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestfp


I agree it is a darn fine tool and is very useful.  Where we disagree is that you believe it is gospel.  I have not followed RPI in softball but I have for college basketball.  And the RPI has never been the sole determination of seeding in basketball.  Case in point this year if the RPI was used, Gonzaga would not have received a number 1 seed.  They would have been a 2 at best, possibly a 3.  



Actually I KNOW it is not the only tool in determining seeding, but I believe it is the primary tool as it should be.  I realize ranking, eye test, location, how many people will fill the stadium seats, etc are all used...and I'm sure in an order of importance...possibly close to the order I have just listed.
LCITSH

Registered:
Posts: 2,414
Reply with quote  #23 
http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Softball/College-Corner/2017-College-Corner/Top-25-Polls

ESPN.com/USA Softball Collegiate Top 25

2017 Season – Week 10 – April 18, 2017

Click here to download the Week 10 Top 25 Poll 

Rank

Team

Record*

Points

Previous Ranking

1.

Florida (15)

40-3

493

3

2.

Arizona (3)

41-3

459

1

3.

Florida State

39-3-1

455

2

4.

Texas A&M

37-4

440

5

5.

Minnesota

38-3

422

6

6.

Oregon

37-4

394

4

7.

Auburn

36-7

374

7

8.

Oklahoma

38-7

362

8

9.

Tennessee

39-5

337

14

10.

Washington

31-10

310

13

11.

Utah

28-8

292

16

12.

Alabama

36-9

262

10

13.

Baylor

35-7

258

12

14.

UCLA

29-12

252

9

15.

James Madison

37-6

231

15

16.

LSU

32-12

198

11

17.

Michigan

31-9-1

170

17

18.

Louisiana

32-6

165

18

19.

BYU

31-10

117

20

20.

Ole Miss

30-13

104

25

21.

Kentucky

26-13

93

22

22.

California

25-13

56

23

23.

Georgia

29-15

54

19

24.

Arizona State

26-12

48

24

25.

Ohio State

26-11

41

21

*Records reflect play through Sunday, April 16, 2017.

Parenthesis denotes first place votes.

Dropped Out: None
New to Poll: None

Others receiving votes: Illinois (31), Arkansas (18), Missouri (17), North Carolina (10), Texas State (9), USC Upstate (9), Mississippi State (5), NC State (5), Tulsa (5), South Carolina (3), Marshall (1)

 
 

__________________
Terrell S. Hebert
Louisiana USSSA Church Coordinator
MiketheTiger

Registered:
Posts: 52
Reply with quote  #24 
Anyone besides me worried that LSU will plays it's way out of a top 16 seed?
AleDawg

Registered:
Posts: 401
Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestfp


It amuses me to no end how some of you believe the RPI to be the inviolate word of God. Sorry, but this poll is more accurate.  A 12 loss UCLA team should not be ranked in the top 10.  Period.  You are going to be very surprised when the selections are made and teams are seeded.  


??

I would assume you think they still should be ahead on Minnesota, right?

Minnesotta is 4-3 vs top 25, UCLA is 4-4 vs top 10. That would say to me that UCLA is an average top 10 team, Minn is a slightly better than average top 25 team.

And, that's where the RPI has them.

__________________
"Never argue with a fool, they will lower you to their level and then beat you with experience."
midwestfp

Registered:
Posts: 538
Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleDawg


??

I would assume you think they still should be ahead on Minnesota, right?

Minnesotta is 4-3 vs top 25, UCLA is 4-4 vs top 10. That would say to me that UCLA is an average top 10 team, Minn is a slightly better than average top 25 team.

And, that's where the RPI has them.


So you only count wins and losses in the top 25??  Losses to Oregon State don't count?? Also, unlike the RPI, pollsters correctly take into account where the games were played. MN has three road losses.  Undefeated at home and on a neutral field.  That matters.  Or maybe the college coaches who voted MN number 5 (including two first place votes) and UCLA number 13 are idiots.  You are clearly so much smarter than they are.

Edit to add that I just saw the Team USA/ESPN poll.  Dang.  You are smarter than those idiots too!!  
TheNarrator

Registered:
Posts: 4,030
Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiketheTiger
Anyone besides me worried that LSU will plays it's way out of a top 16 seed?


I am thinking you might want to be in order to avoid ULL.

__________________
Dewey on victims of sexual assault:  Both women later switched their stories.  Was there a reward or something else behind their change?  Who knows?
AleDawg

Registered:
Posts: 401
Reply with quote  #28 
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestfp


So you only count wins and losses in the top 25??  Losses to Oregon State don't count?? Also, unlike the RPI, pollsters correctly take into account where the games were played. MN has three road losses.  Undefeated at home and on a neutral field.  That matters.  Or maybe the college coaches who voted MN number 5 (including two first place votes) and UCLA number 13 are idiots.  You are clearly so much smarter than they are.  


Wow. so much ratioanlizing it makes my head spin.

>So you only count wins and losses in the top 25??

I measure teams against how the do against the best. Minn has yet to do much to against the best

>Losses to Oregon State don't count?? Also, unlike the RPI, pollsters correctly take into account where the games were played.

??? The losses to OSU happened at OSU. So, does it matter or not?

>Or maybe the college coaches who voted MN number 5 (including two first place votes) and UCLA number 13 are idiots. You are clearly so much smarter than they are.

Petulence? This is the end of our conversation.

Cheers.



__________________
"Never argue with a fool, they will lower you to their level and then beat you with experience."
midwestfp

Registered:
Posts: 538
Reply with quote  #29 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleDawg

??? The losses to OSU happened at OSU. So, does it matter or not?



Almost too silly to refute.  I was referring to UCLA's FIVE home losses, including a three game sweep by Utah.  RPI has UCLA ahead of Utah.  Pollsters have common sense. Cheers to you as well.  
MadDogsDad

Registered:
Posts: 2,178
Reply with quote  #30 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCITSH
http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Softball/College-Corner/2017-College-Corner/Top-25-Polls

ESPN.com/USA Softball Collegiate Top 25

2017 Season – Week 10 – April 18, 2017

Click here to download the Week 10 Top 25 Poll 

Rank

Team

Record*

Points

Previous Ranking

1.

Florida (15)

40-3

493

3

2.

Arizona (3)

41-3

459

1

3.

Florida State

39-3-1

455

2

4.

Texas A&M

37-4

440

5

5.

Minnesota

38-3

422

6

6.

Oregon

37-4

394

4

7.

Auburn

36-7

374

7

8.

Oklahoma

38-7

362

8

9.

Tennessee

39-5

337

14

10.

Washington

31-10

310

13

11.

Utah

28-8

292

16

12.

Alabama

36-9

262

10

13.

Baylor

35-7

258

12

14.

UCLA

29-12

252

9

15.

James Madison

37-6

231

15

16.

LSU

32-12

198

11

17.

Michigan

31-9-1

170

17

18.

Louisiana

32-6

165

18

19.

BYU

31-10

117

20

20.

Ole Miss

30-13

104

25

21.

Kentucky

26-13

93

22

22.

California

25-13

56

23

23.

Georgia

29-15

54

19

24.

Arizona State

26-12

48

24

25.

Ohio State

26-11

41

21

*Records reflect play through Sunday, April 16, 2017.

Parenthesis denotes first place votes.

Dropped Out: None
New to Poll: None

Others receiving votes: Illinois (31), Arkansas (18), Missouri (17), North Carolina (10), Texas State (9), USC Upstate (9), Mississippi State (5), NC State (5), Tulsa (5), South Carolina (3), Marshall (1)

 
 



Is 15-28 NC St really getting top 25 votes? Cmon man.

__________________
And if I don't like what you say then...

your kid sucks.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.