Ultimate College Softball
Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 288 of 291     «   Prev   285   286   287   288   289   290   291   Next
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 2,022
Reply with quote  #8611 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrot


Yes. If we can take at least 80 of those innings off of her and her still have a 2.2 ERA, then I’ll be happy.


That's a bunch of run support. Think Alabama can cover that spread? 
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 17,809
Reply with quote  #8612 
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofzone


That's a bunch of run support. Think Alabama can cover that spread? 


Am I misunderstanding? I’m just asking Cornell to pitch 140 innings and give up an average of 2.2 runs per game. Are you asking if I think Bama can score 3 runs a game on average?

Also looking at one other stat, she appeared in 75% of their 56 games. By comparison Osorio appeared in only 57% of Bama’s 56 games. I get I’m rationalizing maybe but I’m hoping for a lighter workload and thus hopefully similar numbers against a slightly tougher schedule.
hofman19

Registered:
Posts: 166
Reply with quote  #8613 

As an HU fan, I am not that concerned about Sarah making the transition to a higher level of competition...

The way I see it, she will need to make certain adjustments (become more strategic; more pitcher/less thrower), but she is a smart, hard-working player and will do what it takes to succeed.  

Just like in boxing where they say that the worst thing you can have is a knockdown in the first round because you spend the rest of the time chasing the KO, with Cornell, I think the root of her long-ball problem is that for much of her career (Nassau County, CAA, etc), she was a big fish in a moderate sized pool and could overpower the competition.  

Now that she knows that she will be competing with equals, I am optimistic that she will change her approach and put her trust in VB to call a more balanced pitch selection.  

outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 2,022
Reply with quote  #8614 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrot


Am I misunderstanding? I’m just asking Cornell to pitch 140 innings and give up an average of 2.2 runs per game. Are you asking if I think Bama can score 3 runs a game on average?

Also looking at one other stat, she appeared in 75% of their 56 games. By comparison Osorio appeared in only 57% of Bama’s 56 games. I get I’m rationalizing maybe but I’m hoping for a lighter workload and thus hopefully similar numbers against a slightly tougher schedule.


140 innings a lighter load for sure. But can she be more efficient in less innings would be my question...

Hopefully she'll improve within the SEC. But if she continues to throw the ball around like she did at Hofstra it will get ugly fast. She didn't fare to well against some weak teams but still put up a nice record. She doesn't bring anything new to the circle the hitters in the SEC haven't seen before. Remember, hitters started laying off Osorio's Rise and she started to look mortal her last 2 years. 

You are right though, 2.2ERA for a newbie in the SEC not near as bad as it sounds. I expect you would see marked improvement her 2nd year in. 

Good post Jayrot.
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 2,022
Reply with quote  #8615 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hofman19

As an HU fan, I am not that concerned about Sarah making the transition to a higher level of competition...

The way I see it, she will need to make certain adjustments (become more strategic; more pitcher/less thrower), but she is a smart, hard-working player and will do what it takes to succeed.  

Just like in boxing where they say that the worst thing you can have is a knockdown in the first round because you spend the rest of the time chasing the KO, with Cornell, I think the root of her long-ball problem is that for much of her career (Nassau County, CAA, etc), she was a big fish in a moderate sized pool and could overpower the competition.  

Now that she knows that she will be competing with equals, I am optimistic that she will change her approach and put her trust in VB to call a more balanced pitch selection.  



Not sure who might be considered equal in Alabama's bullpen...thus the reason she is there most likely.


jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 17,809
Reply with quote  #8616 
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofzone


140 innings a lighter load for sure. But can she be more efficient in less innings would be my question...

Hopefully she'll improve within the SEC. But if she continues to throw the ball around like she did at Hofstra it will get ugly fast. She didn't fare to well against some weak teams but still put up a nice record. She doesn't bring anything new to the circle the hitters in the SEC haven't seen before. Remember, hitters started laying off Osorio's Rise and she started to look mortal her last 2 years. 

You are right though, 2.2ERA for a newbie in the SEC not near as bad as it sounds. I expect you would see marked improvement her 2nd year in. 

Good post Jayrot.


Completely understand and see all your points. I’m just hoping for her to have a year at least as good as Gettins, bc with a 5 pitcher staff Bama finally has the ability to piece together pitchers (which has been missing).
hofman19

Registered:
Posts: 166
Reply with quote  #8617 

Quote:
Not sure who might be considered equal in Alabama's bullpen...thus the reason she is there most likely.

I was actually referring to the opposing hitters.  She knows she cannot just blow it past them the way she did in the CAA.  In High School and her first two years of college, the hard rise ball was sufficient in most situations to be successful.

My belief is that she realizes that this is a whole new ballgame and thus, will work to develop more of a repertoire.  

ucferic

Registered:
Posts: 392
Reply with quote  #8618 
https://fastpitchnews.com/college-softball-news/sarah-cornell-transfers-to-alabama-talks-to-fpn/352879
Stephen

Registered:
Posts: 2,180
Reply with quote  #8619 
http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/24081941/usa-softball-star-kelly-kretschman-works-another-spot-olympic-gold
Montana_Wa

Registered:
Posts: 208
Reply with quote  #8620 


That is a fantastic article. I kinda thought that they paired seasoned veterans with the younger players for development. She has had played very well this week.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 16,329
Reply with quote  #8621 
https://twitter.com/AlabamaSB/status/1019333981207187462
Stephen

Registered:
Posts: 2,180
Reply with quote  #8622 

North Suncoast Player of the Year: Alexis Kilfoyl, Jr., Academy at the Lakes

The Wildcat ace had a 23-1 record with a 0.23 ERA and 249 strikeouts in 154 innings pitched in leading AATL to the Class 2A state title. At the plate, she hit a team-leading .482 with five home runs and 35 RBIs.

Kilfoyl was the most decorated player in the state. She became the first area player named the Gatorade state player of the year since Chamberlain's Bianka Bell in 2012. And she was the first area player selected as the Florida Dairy Farmers state player of the year since Palm Harbor University's Dani Hofer in 2005. In the 2A title game, Kilfoyl threw an 11-inning shutout and had the winning hit in a 1-0 victory over defending champion Aucilla Christian.

Kilfoyl, the nation's top pitching prospect in the 2019 class, committed to Alabama before the start of her freshman season. She will continue to play travel ball this summer.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/high-schools/2018/07/19/tampa-bay-times-all-tampa-bay-softball-team/

CoachZ

Registered:
Posts: 783
Reply with quote  #8623 
So love this kid. Murph got a beast!
Stephen

Registered:
Posts: 2,180
Reply with quote  #8624 
Well, we at least have a first lineup. Fouts getting the first call in the circle. Sides playing 2B, as I had speculated.
CoachZ

Registered:
Posts: 783
Reply with quote  #8625 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
Well, we at least have a first lineup. Fouts getting the first call in the circle. Sides playing 2B, as I had speculated.


Where are you watching it? Game changer?
BamaGuy

Registered:
Posts: 101
Reply with quote  #8626 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachZ


Where are you watching it? Game changer?


Alabama Twitter was posting updates
Stephen

Registered:
Posts: 2,180
Reply with quote  #8627 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachZ


Where are you watching it? Game changer?


Just Twitter updates.  New Zealand came back to win the first game 7-6.  UA rallied from a 5-0 deficit to win the second game 6-5, sparked by a Montana Fouts pinch-hit grand slam.
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 17,809
Reply with quote  #8628 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen


Just Twitter updates.  New Zealand came back to win the first game 7-6.  UA rallied from a 5-0 deficit to win the second game 6-5, sparked by a Montana Fouts pinch-hit grand slam.


And a decent start in game 1 going 4 innings with 1 earned run.

Was Gettins' dad coaching the NZ team?
Stephen

Registered:
Posts: 2,180
Reply with quote  #8629 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrot
Was Gettins' dad coaching the NZ team?


Yes
Stephen

Registered:
Posts: 2,180
Reply with quote  #8630 
For those who have not yet seen Skylar Wallace, tonight is your chance.  Her Georgia Impact team will play for the 18U national championship at 6:30 CDT, and that will be followed by the High School All-American Game at 9:30.  Both will be live on ESPNU.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 16,329
Reply with quote  #8631 
Check those birth certificates
PH2

Registered:
Posts: 634
Reply with quote  #8632 
Thanks for the heads up.  DirecTV schedule on my TV doesn't show the earlier game, just the All-Star game.
mickey2198

Registered:
Posts: 1,054
Reply with quote  #8633 
What level of college softball team would y'all compare New Zealand or GB?  What did y'all take away from the four games?  
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 16,329
Reply with quote  #8634 
Great Britain would be a significant step below New Zealand.

New Zealand was akin to a 75 RPI team when Oregon played them last December
Stephen

Registered:
Posts: 2,180
Reply with quote  #8635 
I don't take away anything from the games.  One side is a team essentially in the middle of their season.  The other side is a team that practiced for a week, and was playing kids who had never practiced with the team before that.  There is nothing really to be taken from it, other than a good experience for the team, and a little early practice to get the newcomers involved early.
mickey2198

Registered:
Posts: 1,054
Reply with quote  #8636 
I was really most curious about Maddie Morgan and Kyra Lockhart, both seemed to hit really well. 
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 2,022
Reply with quote  #8637 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
I don't take away anything from the games.  One side is a team essentially in the middle of their season.  The other side is a team that practiced for a week, and was playing kids who had never practiced with the team before that.  There is nothing really to be taken from it, other than a good experience for the team, and a little early practice to get the newcomers involved early.


Possibly but considering Osorio and some other graduated players were there... Alabama should be able to beat Great Britain with their JV squad.  

What they tie or lose to the Brits? Now that's taking a "friendly" to another level. 
Stephen

Registered:
Posts: 2,180
Reply with quote  #8638 
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofzone
Possibly but considering Osorio and some other graduated players were there... 


The graduated players barely played at all.
Softball98mom

Registered:
Posts: 354
Reply with quote  #8639 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen


The graduated players barely played at all.


Are there stats to view? Or are you just going by what twitter said?
Stephen

Registered:
Posts: 2,180
Reply with quote  #8640 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softball98mom


Are there stats to view? Or are you just going by what twitter said?


I'm going by what I was told.  Two of the graduated seniors didn't make the trip, Osorio pitched 3 or 4 innings, Booker played a bit, and that was about the extent of it.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.