Ultimate College Softball
Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 277 of 292     «   Prev   274   275   276   277   278   279   280   Next   »
Wilmer1

Registered:
Posts: 293
Reply with quote  #8281 
Hey announcers. There's a softball game going on you know. It would be great if you talked about the game instead of stuff like dresses, jewelry, belly bugs, or about how awesome Florida is.
BAMASportzLuvr

Registered:
Posts: 464
Reply with quote  #8282 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilmer1
Hey announcers. There's a softball game going on you know. It would be great if you talked about the game instead of stuff like dresses, jewelry, belly bugs, or about how awesome Florida is.


No doubt that UF is not strong. It seems the more people on earth lessen the quality of certain parts of society... see > Umpiring, politics and on and on. "Don't make 'em like they used to".

__________________
At UA we know you are not going to beat us, we ONLY beat ourselves. And that is seldom! Know what is wrong with the human population? PEOPLE
beckibama

Registered:
Posts: 472
Reply with quote  #8283 

Okay-- a lot of Bama fans during game one and game three were complaining that Barnhill should have been called for illegal pitches due to her apparent habit of crow-hopping as she throws---it does appear to the naked eye that she is doing this on a regular basis.  So why is not being called (or pointed out to the umpires by Bama coaches)?

 

 

jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 17,822
Reply with quote  #8284 
Well I didn't get to watch much of this series, but based on the scores I am lot more pleased than I thought I'd be.  Proud of AO coming back on Monday and allowing only 3 runs and limiting all of the Gators offensively except for 1.  After that 6 run Friday, I was worried we'd see the same again on Monday.  Glad to see Gettins come back after that UK series and have a solid outing.  If this Bama team is going to get rolling, they are going to need Regan Dykes and Demi Turner to step it up (surely stating the obvious here, but you know me).  Lastly, I can't speak for her whole weekend but Hemphill grounding out twice in the Monday game on the first pitch was a little too eager for my liking.  It's a Catch22.  Last year she was criticized for watching too much, and this year wish she had looked a few more pitches in both of those instances.  For as much as knuckle criticized Elissa Brown last year, I think we all need to acknowledge that we'd be in a lot worse shape without her this year.

ETA:  Dykes as a catcher is so fun to watch.  She can't be my favorite catcher ever (that'll always be either Prejean or Dawson), but watching her behind the plate is AWESOME.
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 17,822
Reply with quote  #8285 
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckibama

Okay-- a lot of Bama fans during game one and game three were complaining that Barnhill should have been called for illegal pitches due to her apparent habit of crow-hopping as she throws---it does appear to the naked eye that she is doing this on a regular basis.  So why is not being called (or pointed out to the umpires by Bama coaches)?



Not commenting on the illegal stuff that's been beaten to death and clearly not going to change, but someone in that picture looks familiar!

BAMASportzLuvr

Registered:
Posts: 464
Reply with quote  #8286 
Rules are NOT made to be broken...PERIOD! Penalization(s) of some form are expected to be carried out. Am I perfect? Nope, but I am aware consequences can follow.
__________________
At UA we know you are not going to beat us, we ONLY beat ourselves. And that is seldom! Know what is wrong with the human population? PEOPLE
Softball98mom

Registered:
Posts: 369
Reply with quote  #8287 
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckibama

Okay-- a lot of Bama fans during game one and game three were complaining that Barnhill should have been called for illegal pitches due to her apparent habit of crow-hopping as she throws---it does appear to the naked eye that she is doing this on a regular basis.  So why is not being called (or pointed out to the umpires by Bama coaches)?

 

 



Maybe it was pointed out and the umpires ignored it, as they usually do. It’s clearly not going to be called, NPOY being called on it doesn’t bode well for the sport. UO coach brought it up at post game interview at WCWS, but they haven’t played each other this season have they? Until coaches come out and talk about it in the open, nothing will happen. It’s a shame, really.
mickey2198

Registered:
Posts: 1,054
Reply with quote  #8288 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrot
Well I didn't get to watch much of this series, but based on the scores I am lot more pleased than I thought I'd be.  Proud of AO coming back on Monday and allowing only 3 runs and limiting all of the Gators offensively except for 1.  After that 6 run Friday, I was worried we'd see the same again on Monday.  Glad to see Gettins come back after that UK series and have a solid outing.  If this Bama team is going to get rolling, they are going to need Regan Dykes and Demi Turner to step it up (surely stating the obvious here, but you know me).  Lastly, I can't speak for her whole weekend but Hemphill grounding out twice in the Monday game on the first pitch was a little too eager for my liking.  It's a Catch22.  Last year she was criticized for watching too much, and this year wish she had looked a few more pitches in both of those instances.  For as much as knuckle criticized Elissa Brown last year, I think we all need to acknowledge that we'd be in a lot worse shape without her this year.


I have been unwilling to say much because I think this weekend was overall a positive one and that doesn't seem to be the consensus.  Legal or not, Barnhill is one of the best in the country and we hit her pretty well yesterday, there were lots of solid hits that went right at people.  I think this team is a much better hitting team than last years  team.  I threw out Saturday's game as soon as I saw the weather forecast.  AO has not pitched well when it is cold and I think the other two games showed a staff that is improving.  All of this seems to be way too optimistic for this thread and for a team with the record we have.  I think we need to figure out how to sweep this weekend and win the other remaining series, but I like where we are.  I understand the frustration with EB and Bailey last year, but I also think they are getting better the further into their career they go, and I see an ongoing homerun battle for the next two and a half years between Tow and Hemphill. 
CowboyJOX

Registered:
Posts: 122
Reply with quote  #8289 
Osorio's pitch count and the walks are a concern, even if the umpire could take some of the blame. Three walks loaded the bases for that Romanello double. Pitch count was pretty high at Kentucky too but the offense gave her a lot of cushion to work with. In general it seems like we're getting better at-bats from more people even if the run totals don't always make it look that way.

I think every series moving forward is winnable, especially now that Brittany Gray is out for the year for UGA. They'll all be good RPI games too, which helps the postseason resume.
knucklecurve

Registered:
Posts: 470
Reply with quote  #8290 
As for Alabama pitching this weekend:

Can somebody explain to me why Orsorio threw the same pitch over and over again, in the same location despite it never being called for a strike.
Is this crass stupidity or what?

Dykes would shift to off the corner, catch it on her glove side and frame it inward but for the most they were balls. In addition the Gator pitcher had a true screwball, but Orsorio's right lower corner was more directional than any real movement. While Littlejohn had a true backup curve, AO's pitch is more of flat rise ball under the hands-a good pitch, but still not a curve. Littlejohn was also 0-8 against Sweet 16 teams last year. Our pitchers have not improved as they gained experience; or what were they  thinking when they were recruited by our coaches. Giving up so few runs with such horrible pitching may be a hint that UF, AUB, and KY run to or in OK City may be a short one too.
CrowHop

Registered:
Posts: 269
Reply with quote  #8291 
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckibama

Okay-- a lot of Bama fans during game one and game three were complaining that Barnhill should have been called for illegal pitches due to her apparent habit of crow-hopping as she throws---it does appear to the naked eye that she is doing this on a regular basis.  So why is not being called (or pointed out to the umpires by Bama coaches)?

 

 




Awesome!  I always appreciate free advertising!!!!! [love][thumb][wave]

__________________
Your pitcher is illegal.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 16,392
Reply with quote  #8292 
Before the era of laser/GPS lines calls at the French Open, an official method to determine if a ball was in or out on Roland Garros' red clay was for an official to check the fresh ball mark.

This is the exact same principle. A simple call to make. Over and over and over again.

Really get a sense these umps are calling once, just to say they have -- give themselves a batting average. And that's it. The calls' frequency has changed drastically since that Georgia debacle
lovsofbal

Registered:
Posts: 2,014
Reply with quote  #8293 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softball98mom
Maybe it was pointed out and the umpires ignored it, as they usually do. It’s clearly not going to be called, NPOY being called on it doesn’t bode well for the sport. UO coach brought it up at post game interview at WCWS, but they haven’t played each other this season have they? Until coaches come out and talk about it in the open, nothing will happen. It’s a shame, really.


is that the Weekly's in disguise, bottom right? 😃
BAMASportzLuvr

Registered:
Posts: 464
Reply with quote  #8294 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovsofbal


is that the Weekly's in disguise, bottom right? 😃


Whether or not, your reply is humorous!

__________________
At UA we know you are not going to beat us, we ONLY beat ourselves. And that is seldom! Know what is wrong with the human population? PEOPLE
CrowHop

Registered:
Posts: 269
Reply with quote  #8295 
Watching those three games, it's amazing how dependent on that outside pitch AO really is.  When she can't get that call, its nothing but trouble for her and Bama.  

First game, no outside strike....AO walks the entire population of Florida.   Comes in as relief in game two, ump gives her that corner, AO mows 'em down, closes it out.  Game three......back to no outside corner strike.....AO then walks the entire state of Alabama.

I was also intrigued that Van Brakle kept calling that pitch over and over even though it was painfully clear Blue wasn't going to give it to her.  Did she think he would eventually cave in and call it a strike?

__________________
Your pitcher is illegal.
ShepJones1_1

Registered:
Posts: 184
Reply with quote  #8296 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowHop
Watching those three games, it's amazing how dependent on that outside pitch AO really is.  When she can't get that call, its nothing but trouble for her and Bama.  

First game, no outside strike....AO walks the entire population of Florida.   Comes in as relief in game two, ump gives her that corner, AO mows 'em down, closes it out.  Game three......back to no outside corner strike.....AO then walks the entire state of Alabama.

I was also intrigued that Van Brakle kept calling that pitch over and over even though it was painfully clear Blue wasn't going to give it to her.  Did she think he would eventually cave in and call it a strike?

She was getting the call early in the game until Walton got in the ump's face after one his players was called out looking to end an inning.  After the outburst from Walton, she did not get the call any more.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 16,392
Reply with quote  #8297 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepJones1_1

She was getting the call early in the game until Walton got in the ump's face after one his players was called out looking to end an inning.  After the outburst from Walton, she did not get the call any more.
Squeaky wheel gets the grease, but Murphy -- for better and worse -- refuses to play that game
knucklecurve

Registered:
Posts: 470
Reply with quote  #8298 
AO took a lot of time between pitches even though it was the same pitch she just threw.

Most of these umps have been calling the same zone for years and they should be scouted just like the batters, but I haven't seen any managers recording from the stands recently.

Last year Washington had two scouting and recording behind home plate when they were here. Watching it from TV or video is not the same as being behind plate and actually seeing the path of the pitch. For me it has also made for some nice surprise dates.

Jackie Traina was doing the same thing living on the corner with the off the plate curve which never got called, and Jury's off the plate "screwball" which never got swung at and never got called either.
Yet SVB does the same thing over again and over again! Added to that we can't recruit healthy D. I pitchers; except for AO and she hasn't improved- maybe has gotten worse. Littlejohn may have improved a little bit, but the rest came here torn up or got torn up and never contributed.
This year's rookies may be the worst. One has a problem with the 1st inning and second can't stay away from illegal pitches or playing cricket by bouncing the ball.

It might be time we look for a new pitching coach with a different approach who can recruit and coach the quality pitchers we used to get including herself.
Wilmer1

Registered:
Posts: 293
Reply with quote  #8299 
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklecurve
AO took a lot of time between pitches even though it was the same pitch she just threw.

Most of these umps have been calling the same zone for years and they should be scouted just like the batters, but I haven't seen any managers recording from the stands recently.

Last year Washington had two scouting and recording behind home plate when they were here. Watching it from TV or video is not the same as being behind plate and actually seeing the path of the pitch. For me it has also made for some nice surprise dates.

Jackie Traina was doing the same thing living on the corner with the off the plate curve which never got called, and Jury's off the plate "screwball" which never got swung at and never got called either.
Yet SVB does the same thing over again and over again! Added to that we can't recruit healthy D. I pitchers; except for AO and she hasn't improved- maybe has gotten worse. Littlejohn may have improved a little bit, but the rest came here torn up or got torn up and never contributed.
This year's rookies may be the worst. One has a problem with the 1st inning and second can't stay away from illegal pitches or playing cricket by bouncing the ball.

It might be time we look for a new pitching coach with a different approach who can recruit and coach the quality pitchers we used to get including herself.

LOL.  Yeah, Osorio sucks.  I mean she was an AA only twice.  In Knucklehead's mind, if your not a 4 year AA, you suck.  

If you can't see that it's the umpiring that has changed, not Osorio, then your not worth wasting any time or breathe on.  Umpires in the SEC have forgotten that the plate has corners especially when Bama is playing.  Maybe they are still holding a grudge from when Murphy filed a complaint against the home plate umpire who screwed up on the Hemphill homerun last year against Ole Miss and got the moron suspended (Stearns?).  But whether its by directive from the SEC or from retaliation from the umpires in Bama's case, pitchers in the SEC are being forced to throw the ball right down the middle.  They might as well just put a tee out on home plate and let the hitters hit off of that instead of having a pitcher throw down the pipe every time because doing either has the same effect.
beckibama

Registered:
Posts: 472
Reply with quote  #8300 
Can SOMEONE teach Tow to catch a fly ball??!        [mad][redface]
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 17,822
Reply with quote  #8301 
Or gabby. Never thought I’d see a Bama OF this bad.

And by holy God when the lead off gets on bunt her over. And why is Sides hitting away?

Honest question, do you think he wants to win?
PH2

Registered:
Posts: 662
Reply with quote  #8302 
Alabama looks awful.
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 17,822
Reply with quote  #8303 
Two straight 7th inning meltdowns by AO, because we don’t have another pitcher who can be a closer and get 3 outs. 6-1 lead on Friday and with the help of the umpire you let AO stay out there and give up a 3 run homer to a .230 hitter. All that did was build Arkansas’s confidence. How do you not put Gettins in today. She had a better weekend vs Arkansas.

Never thought I’d see Bamas defense look that bad but alas that was an ugly defensive weekend.
MOJOERASER

Registered:
Posts: 374
Reply with quote  #8304 
AO isn’t playing her best ... looks scared and injured. She always has that same look on her face .... it’s like get me out of the game I am bored look. Bama needs her so badly and when she isn’t playing good BAMA doesn’t have the horses to be elite. They are not going to be ranked if they don’t get it together soon.
beckibama

Registered:
Posts: 472
Reply with quote  #8305 

Or gabby. Never thought I’d see a Bama OF this bad. 

 

 

At least Gabby could use the excuse of not playing often.  But Tow is a starter and has dropped at least a half a dozen fly balls this year that I can remember.  I hold my breath every time one is hit in her direction now.  [frown]

jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 17,822
Reply with quote  #8306 
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckibama

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrot
Or gabby. Never thought I’d see a Bama OF this bad. 

 

 

At least Gabby could use the excuse of not playing often.  But Tow is a starter and has dropped at least a half a dozen fly balls this year that I can remember.  I hold my breath every time one is hit in her direction now.  [frown]



I really like Gabby and she was the strongest offensively we had this weekend, but that Game 1 7th inning single that dropped in front of her about sent me over an edge.  Those are plays that you have to make when you pitcher is on pitch #1,789 of the game. With 2 outs, make a dive - that girl aint gonna make it to third even if it gets passed you.
CowboyJOX

Registered:
Posts: 122
Reply with quote  #8307 
Despite the losses, moved up two spots in the RPI to #16. Given what we have left, I don't think we go much lower than that in the RPI. If anything, we'll finish even higher. We'll have to see how the tournament committee balances that with the other rankings or whatever eye test they want to use.
scrybe

Registered:
Posts: 1,471
Reply with quote  #8308 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyJOX
Despite the losses, moved up two spots in the RPI to #16. Given what we have left, I don't think we go much lower than that in the RPI. If anything, we'll finish even higher. We'll have to see how the tournament committee balances that with the other rankings or whatever eye test they want to use.


I like Bama, but there's no way the Tide should have moved up ANY spots in RPI after the way the team has played over the last week or so. The RPI should: (1) be overhauled; (2) kept out of the equation entirely until the regular season is completed; or (3) both of the above.
knucklecurve

Registered:
Posts: 470
Reply with quote  #8309 
Agreed on Tow, it looks like she falls asleep out. Next year, in the Fall, maybe we should look at her for first base; she can't be any worse.
Hemphill gets lost out there and can't get out  of her way; the rest of the 1st baseman lack the quickness to even get in their own way.

AO appears disinterested on the mound. There is not enough mixing of the pitches, She takes too much time between pitches. She is afraid to challenge good hitters even when ahead in both count and score. AO' s Balls to strikes ratio gets worse as the schedule becomes more competitive- even more so than you would expect.The two back-ups are not as good as previous 2 hole pitchers were by any stretch of the imagination. Could it be possible SVB might want to start a family and be eased out of her position and be replaced.
 

knucklecurve

Registered:
Posts: 470
Reply with quote  #8310 
To Wilmer have you actually sat behind home plate to see what is going?
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.