Ultimate College Softball
Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Midwest

Registered:
Posts: 47
Reply with quote  #1 
Anyone have info on any of Alabama 2020 recruits?

Heard of one close by but was wondering if it was legit. Sorry don't have a FloSoftball subscription to check on this.

__________________
Just a guy that likes softball.
EarlyGrayce

Registered:
Posts: 6,163
Reply with quote  #2 
http://robocoach.websitetoolbox.com/post/alabama-softballpart-ii-5151374?trail=8010
__________________

"A principled loser is just another kind of loser – an especially annoying kind because he never seems to shut his Zima-hole about his precious principles."

sballwatcher

Registered:
Posts: 186
Reply with quote  #3 
Jaala Torrence- Birmingham Thunderbolts
Riley Blampied- Georgia Impact
Bailey Dowling- Beverly Bandits
Stephen

Registered:
Posts: 2,143
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sballwatcher
Jaala Torrence- Birmingham Thunderbolts Riley Blampied- Georgia Impact Bailey Dowling- Beverly Bandits


Alex Salter - Panthers Fastpitch
cash

Registered:
Posts: 207
Reply with quote  #5 
The big schools or I should say Power 5 conferences are messing up the game. They are committing players early and I should say early... How do they know that the player can play SEC or even big time softball? These big schools are giving these kids false hope... They will over recruit and have them commit and if they don’t develop by the time they are seniors the schools will drop them... You can’t say they don’t... You all know they do it...
rudymartinez

Registered:
Posts: 546
Reply with quote  #6 
I too hate the early verbals and have always advocated a smart coach could have a fine recruiting class with late bloomers. However, the elite feast on the the theory.
sballwatcher

Registered:
Posts: 186
Reply with quote  #7 
IMO, if you dropped because you did not develop, that is on you. Kids should be putting in the work and making the gains. Kids/parents should also be educated on the programs that consistantly send NLIs with less than what was agreed upon and drop kids late in the process. It should not only be about playing for X program. Softball is certainly a part of it, but so much more SHOULD be considered. Unfortunately, too many are only interested in what sweatshirt they can wear around and that Mommy/Daddy can brag about.
Nextyear

Registered:
Posts: 245
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sballwatcher
IMO, if you dropped because you did not develop, that is on you. Kids should be putting in the work and making the gains. Kids/parents should also be educated on the programs that consistantly send NLIs with less than what was agreed upon and drop kids late in the process. It should not only be about playing for X program. Softball is certainly a part of it, but so much more SHOULD be considered. Unfortunately, too many are only interested in what sweatshirt they can wear around and that Mommy/Daddy can brag about.


All very true but it doesn’t change the fact that it’s idiotic for 13 and 14 year old kids to pick their college and take themselves out of the recruiting process. This happenes based on a coaches word that may or may not be there in 4 years.
rudymartinez

Registered:
Posts: 546
Reply with quote  #9 
Watcher/Next - hard work doesn't equal talent. The lunch pail player is a myth. Players peak at different ages. Successful programs, as you stated, prey upon parent's mostly unrealistic expectations of their children. All that being said, if a kid is among the 2% that get to play at the college level, be grateful. 
Softball_rules5

Registered:
Posts: 145
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudymartinez
Watcher/Next - hard work doesn't equal talent. The lunch pail player is a myth. Players peak at different ages. Successful programs, as you stated, prey upon parent's mostly unrealistic expectations of their children. All that being said, if a kid is among the 2% that get to play at the college level, be grateful. 


Agreed and consider this: it is a physiological fact that girls develop faster and earlier than boys. When these girls hit late middle/early high school, they have more than likely achieved max height. That is not to say the weight room doesn’t do wonders and make some minor miracles but it can only do so much and the limitations of genetics are what they are.

As far as schools doing early verbals and then over recruiting, look no further than the beloved Sooners.
ChinMusic

Registered:
Posts: 913
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softball_rules5
As far as schools doing early verbals and then over recruiting, look no further than the beloved Sooners.


I'm still a little hung over from the long Christmas weekend.  Can you explain the Sooner reference in a little greater detail?  Not sure I follow.

Thanks!
sballwatcher

Registered:
Posts: 186
Reply with quote  #12 
It is widely known that OK, and many others, have sent NLIs of much lesser $ values than what was verbally committed too. They might have 6 kids verbally committed at 100% when they only can really only give 3 at 100%. When NLI day comes 2 of those kids get 100% NLI and they other 4 get NLIs with 25%........just a hypothetical example.
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 1,879
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softball_rules5
Agreed and consider this: it is a physiological fact that girls develop faster and earlier than boys. When these girls hit late middle/early high school, they have more than likely achieved max height. That is not to say the weight room doesn’t do wonders and make some minor miracles but it can only do so much and the limitations of genetics are what they are. As far as schools doing early verbals and then over recruiting, look no further than the beloved Sooners.


AZ & Florida come to mind also. Shoot, Florida commits their second 7th grader who is bragging about throwing 67...nowhere to go but down after that. Ashame.
Softball_rules5

Registered:
Posts: 145
Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sballwatcher
It is widely known that OK, and many others, have sent NLIs of much lesser $ values than what was verbally committed too. They might have 6 kids verbally committed at 100% when they only can really only give 3 at 100%. When NLI day comes 2 of those kids get 100% NLI and they other 4 get NLIs with 25%........just a hypothetical example.


I’ve heard at OK it’s much more rampant than that. Have heard stories of cranking 10 kids in a class for 5 spots. Signing day comes and the NLI is 10% and now the kid is screwed. Probably happpens other places but have heard it’s the norm in Norman.
ChinMusic

Registered:
Posts: 913
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softball_rules5


I’ve heard at OK it’s much more rampant than that. Have heard stories of cranking 10 kids in a class for 5 spots. Signing day comes and the NLI is 10% and now the kid is screwed. Probably happpens other places but have heard it’s the norm in Norman.


You’ve heard? Widely known? Lol. You need to check your sources for sour grapes.
ChinMusic

Registered:
Posts: 913
Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofzone


AZ & Florida come to mind also. Shoot, Florida commits their second 7th grader who is bragging about throwing 67...nowhere to go but down after that. Ashame.


Early recruiting is one thing. Top tier coaches consistently lieing to recruits is a bit different. Developing such a “widely known” reputation would seem like a sure fire way to ruin ones ability to maintain a steady flow of top notch recruits to these elite programs. Florida, Arizona, Oklahoma all seem to keep ‘em coming. Not saying it doesn’t happen at some places, or hasn’t happened with elite programs, but I’m not buying this BS about it being “the norm”.
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 1,879
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinMusic
Early recruiting is one thing. Top tier coaches consistently lieing to recruits is a bit different. Developing such a “widely known” reputation would seem like a sure fire way to ruin ones ability to maintain a steady flow of top notch recruits to these elite programs. Florida, Arizona, Oklahoma all seem to keep ‘em coming. Not saying it doesn’t happen at some places, or hasn’t happened with elite programs, but I’m not buying this BS about it being “the norm”.


Good post. 

Softball_rules5

Registered:
Posts: 145
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinMusic


You’ve heard? Widely known? Lol. You need to check your sources for sour grapes.


Why would I have sour grapes? I’m just telling you I’ve heard stories from some of the top travel coaches in the Midwest it happens. I cold care less what happens there because as I said it happens everywhere, maybe just not the extent I’ve heard from Oklahoma. If anyone has sour grapes it’s you because you know it’s happening and that is “heard and widely known” throughout the system. Now let’s put this thread back on track about Alabama 2020 recruits and if anyone wants to continue another conversations start another thread.
bluedog

Registered:
Posts: 10,842
Reply with quote  #19 
Terp's post is relevant and brings up a good point............

Assistant coaches are very involved with these young recruits - and their parents..........They do a lot of the wining-and-dining..........
sballwatcher

Registered:
Posts: 186
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinMusic


You’ve heard? Widely known? Lol. You need to check your sources for sour grapes.



Just the facts, sorry if unpopular to you!
ChinMusic

Registered:
Posts: 913
Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softball_rules5
Why would I have sour grapes? I’m just telling you I’ve heard stories from some of the top travel coaches in the Midwest it happens. I cold care less what happens there because as I said it happens everywhere, maybe just not the extent I’ve heard from Oklahoma. If anyone has sour grapes it’s you because you know it’s happening and that is “heard and widely known” throughout the system. Now let’s put this thread back on track about Alabama 2020 recruits and if anyone wants to continue another conversations start another thread.


LOL,  the old "I'm rubber you're glue" defense. Re-read my post.  I said check your SOURCES for sour grapes not yourself.  And your response tends to support my suspicion.  Midwest travel ball coaches get fewer kids recruited to these programs, (Oklahoma eg.) than the Cali, Texas, Florida coaches do.  Egos are damaged, thus a potential axe to grind (sour grapes). 

If it were as wide spread as you say, wouldn't "the system" of travel ball coaches and parents of past recruits greatly impact the number of top quality players signing with these programs?  Do you see their player quality declining?  And wouldn't  it catch up with the coaches before they amass 20+ years on the job?  Wouldn't  you expect to see a proportionally greater number of players transferring out of these schools?

It just seems that the actual results don't support what you've "heard" from whomever it is you've talked to.



ChinMusic

Registered:
Posts: 913
Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sballwatcher
Just the facts, sorry if unpopular to you!


Just because you have in "fact" heard it doesn't make it a "fact" in terms of accuracy.  Unpopular?  No, I simply think you are wrong.

Sorry, I'll stay off your thread now.
Still_JAD

Registered:
Posts: 524
Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog
Terp's post is relevant and brings up a good point............

Assistant coaches are very involved with these young recruits - and their parents..........They do a lot of the wining-and-dining..........


Considering a player cannot take an official visit until their senior year, there is not a lot of wining-and-dining unless it is in violation of NCAA rules.
SSMITH

Registered:
Posts: 5
Reply with quote  #24 
Now let’s put this thread back on track about Alabama 2020 recruits

Have any of you seen any of Alabama's 2020 commits play? Just curious on how the future looks.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 15,866
Reply with quote  #25 
Do I sniff a parent making a first post?
lovsofbal

Registered:
Posts: 1,906
Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns
Do I sniff a parent making a first post?


[comp]
Softball_rules5

Registered:
Posts: 145
Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinMusic


LOL,  the old "I'm rubber you're glue" defense. Re-read my post.  I said check your SOURCES for sour grapes not yourself.  And your response tends to support my suspicion.  Midwest travel ball coaches get fewer kids recruited to these programs, (Oklahoma eg.) than the Cali, Texas, Florida coaches do.  Egos are damaged, thus a potential axe to grind (sour grapes). 

If it were as wide spread as you say, wouldn't "the system" of travel ball coaches and parents of past recruits greatly impact the number of top quality players signing with these programs?  Do you see their player quality declining?  And wouldn't  it catch up with the coaches before they amass 20+ years on the job?  Wouldn't  you expect to see a proportionally greater number of players transferring out of these schools?

It just seems that the actual results don't support what you've "heard" from whomever it is you've talked to.





Yeah Beverly bandits, new Lenox lightning, Louisville lady sluggers don’t kids to bigger programs, my bad. Enough, I’m not giving specific coaches names. You’re obviously going to believe what you want. I’ve been through the recruiting process with many kids myself so this isn’t a new subject. So should I now stick out my tongue and take my ball and leave (I’ll beat you to your answer, yes)
HenryLouisAaron

Registered:
Posts: 1,896
Reply with quote  #28 
<< As far as schools doing early verbals and then over recruiting, look no further than the beloved Sooners. >> (Softball rules5)

<< It is widely known that OK, and many others, have sent NLIs of much lesser $ values than what was verbally committed too. They might have 6 kids verbally committed at 100% when they only can really only give 3 at 100%. When NLI day comes 2 of those kids get 100% NLI and they other 4 get NLIs with 25%........just a hypothetical example. >> (sballwatcher)


<< I’ve heard at OK it’s much more rampant than that. Have heard stories of cranking 10 kids in a class for 5 spots. Signing day comes and the NLI is 10% and now the kid is screwed. Probably happpens other places but have heard it’s the norm in Norman. >> (Softball rules5)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

<< Early recruiting is one thing. Top tier coaches consistently lieing to recruits is a bit different. Developing such a “widely known” reputation would seem like a sure fire way to ruin ones ability to maintain a steady flow of top notch recruits to these elite programs. Florida, Arizona, Oklahoma all seem to keep ‘em coming. Not saying it doesn’t happen at some places, or hasn’t happened with elite programs, but I’m not buying this BS about it being “the norm”.  >> (ChinMusic)

========================================

I also have to doubt that it is "the norm in Norman", as Softball rules5 indicated above.
If it were actually the norm - then word of this would surely get out. 
And then why would any new recruit believe what they were being told.
A coaching staff's reputation is something they need to value and maintain.

Lying to recruits and mistreating them would surely hurt a coaching staff in the long run.
And Patty Gasso has had a pretty long, successful run.

Or are you claiming it is her mistreating of recruits which leads to such a successful program..??
I am not sure exactly how that works? Explain it to me if you could.

Lastly, I have to ask both Softball rules5 and sballwatcher this... 
Do you truly believe Oklahoma is the #1 worst offender for this kind of unfair (to the recruits) recruiting - or do you believe that all (or most of) the top schools are doing the same thing?
Do you say it is a rampant practice among the more competitive schools - or is it only a couple or a few or a dozen or a what?

And if you have some sort of proof that Oklahoma is the worst offender (or even among the worst) of recruiting offenses of the type you have mentioned - then you should share that with us.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 15,866
Reply with quote  #29 
Wow, Hammer going with the geriatric-sized, colored fonts.

Now, the posts will be twice as long
sballwatcher

Registered:
Posts: 186
Reply with quote  #30 
Never said OK was worst offender, in fact only mentioned OK becaise of the previous post. It does happen and happens a lot all around the country. I have personally seen it happen to kids at Big 12, Big 10, SEC, Big 10, and even a MAC school. Granted the MAC coach moved on to a bigger conference leaving the next coach to deal with the "overspending." You will not hear about it much from parents/players because of ego, egos, and more egos.
There was a post on this site in the Fall about this very thing happening. Their NLI was a joke compared to offer....according to poster.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.