Ultimate College Softball
Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 23 of 24     «   Prev   20   21   22   23   24   Next
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 2,231
Reply with quote  #661 
UNC with a nice win over South Carolina. Brittany Pickett in nice early season form. 
TyCobb

Registered:
Posts: 1,309
Reply with quote  #662 
NC State gave away a win today against UF, they had a great opening weekend overall.  Overall the ACC looks to continue its upward trend this season.
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 2,231
Reply with quote  #663 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCobb
NC State gave away a win today against UF, they had a great opening weekend overall.  Overall the ACC looks to continue its upward trend this season.


Seems so. At least thru first wkd. NC State & Va Tech both look much improved since they aquired actual live bodies to Coach the players. 

Couple observations on Va Tech. The put a beatdown on every team. Eberle, their #1 had a nice wkd but more curious is the fact she had exactly zero at bats. I find it hard to believe they are so deep she can't find her way into the lineup...she's one of their better hitters. If the new Coach holds to some antique philosophy that his pitchers don't hit well ok, good luck with that. 

And congrats to the Coach for finding some new life in Keely Rochard, their #2. And the Georgia Bullpen transfer Napoli picked up right where she left off from Athens. .1IP, 3R, 3W.

They have a Freshman Meredith Slaw who seemed to pick up the College hitting game pretty quick. 
TheVille

Registered:
Posts: 44
Reply with quote  #664 
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofzone


Seems so. At least thru first wkd. NC State & Va Tech both look much improved since they aquired actual live bodies to Coach the players. 
 


I think NS State's Improvement is because of transfers. I'm sure the coaching change won't hurt. 

TyCobb

Registered:
Posts: 1,309
Reply with quote  #665 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVille


I think NS State's Improvement is because of transfers. I'm sure the coaching change won't hurt. 



Who are the transfers?
TheVille

Registered:
Posts: 44
Reply with quote  #666 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCobb


Who are the transfers?


Logan Morris - USC Upstate
RANDI FARRICKER - Arizona St
BRIGETTE NORDBERG - Maryland
SKYLAR JOHNSTON - Fordham


TyCobb

Registered:
Posts: 1,309
Reply with quote  #667 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVille


Logan Morris - USC Upstate
RANDI FARRICKER - Arizona St
BRIGETTE NORDBERG - Maryland
SKYLAR JOHNSTON - Fordham




I suppose the next question would be are they good players?
TheVille

Registered:
Posts: 44
Reply with quote  #668 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCobb


I suppose the next question would be are they good players?


3 of the 4 in the top 4 in Average and a combined 5 Hr's. 10 of the teams 18 RBI's. 

TheVille

Registered:
Posts: 44
Reply with quote  #669 
Updated schedule due to rain predictions. 


[image]
sballwatcher

Registered:
Posts: 229
Reply with quote  #670 
What a difference a weekend makes for NC State.
john3298

Registered:
Posts: 257
Reply with quote  #671 
Legit question - Is Pitt supposed to be good? I saw they were picked to finish like 4th in the ACC this year, but they've been destroyed by Big 10 teams this year. Is Pitt bad or are teams like Wisconsin and Nebraska that good?
sballwatcher

Registered:
Posts: 229
Reply with quote  #672 
Pitt is was picked that high because of last years finish.
TyCobb

Registered:
Posts: 1,309
Reply with quote  #673 
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3298
Legit question - Is Pitt supposed to be good? I saw they were picked to finish like 4th in the ACC this year, but they've been destroyed by Big 10 teams this year. Is Pitt bad or are teams like Wisconsin and Nebraska that good?


I think the Big 10 as a whole is clearly better than the ACC this season.  While I do believe the ACC is steadily improving, still ways to go 😉
john3298

Registered:
Posts: 257
Reply with quote  #674 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCobb


I think the Big 10 as a whole is clearly better than the ACC this season.  While I do believe the ACC is steadily improving, still ways to go 😉


Ya I'm actually really impressed with how far the Big 10 and ACC have come over the past few years. It used to just be Florida State and Notre Dame for the ACC and Michigan and Minnesota for the Big 10, but now there are quite a few teams in each conference that can compete. Although it's obvious that Florida State is lightyears ahead of any other team in either conference. 
TyCobb

Registered:
Posts: 1,309
Reply with quote  #675 
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3298


Ya I'm actually really impressed with how far the Big 10 and ACC have come over the past few years. It used to just be Florida State and Notre Dame for the ACC and Michigan and Minnesota for the Big 10, but now there are quite a few teams in each conference that can compete. Although it's obvious that Florida State is lightyears ahead of any other team in either conference. 


Agreed, it also coincides with the slow decline of the SEC, the talent is becoming more spread out.  

As for FSU, their young pitchers got touched up last night against Minnesota and it is still very early in the season.  
john3298

Registered:
Posts: 257
Reply with quote  #676 
Big 10 wins the BIG/ACC Challenge 23-13. Florida State, Notre Dame, and UNC (when Pickett is pitching) all look pretty strong, and I think Louisville, Duke, and NC State will also be pretty good by season's end. 
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 17,932
Reply with quote  #677 
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3298
Big 10 wins the BIG/ACC Challenge 23-13. Florida State, Notre Dame, and UNC (when Pickett is pitching) all look pretty strong, and I think Louisville, Duke, and NC State will also be pretty good by season's end. 


What were the records at each venue? I feel like an idiot but I don’t even know who the second ACC team was in ATL.
john3298

Registered:
Posts: 257
Reply with quote  #678 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrot


What were the records at each venue? I feel like an idiot but I don’t even know who the second ACC team was in ATL.


At Georgia Tech:

Illinois 4-0

Georgia Tech 2-2

Boston College 2-2

Michigan State 0-4

 

At Duke:

Indiana 4-0

Penn State 2-2

Duke 1-3

Syracuse 1-3

 

At NC State:

Wisconsin 4-0

Nebraska 4-0

NC State 0-4

Pitt 0-4

 

At UNC:

Northwestern 3-1

UNC 3-1

Michigan 1-3

Louisville 1-3

 

At St. Pete/Clearwater:

Florida State 2-0

Minnesota 1-1

Notre Dame 1-1

Ohio State 0-2

jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 17,932
Reply with quote  #679 
That Michigan record has to be the shocker.
john3298

Registered:
Posts: 257
Reply with quote  #680 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrot
That Michigan record has to be the shocker.


On paper, yes. But I've watched them play a couple of their games, and I've been really disappointed. They have essentially no offense, and Beaubien has been giving up more runs than she did last year - lots of walks and hbp. They should have won that 2nd game against Louisville, but UNC just outplayed them in both games. 
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 17,932
Reply with quote  #681 
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3298


On paper, yes. But I've watched them play a couple of their games, and I've been really disappointed. They have essentially no offense, and Beaubien has been giving up more runs than she did last year - lots of walks and hbp. They should have won that 2nd game against Louisville, but UNC just outplayed them in both games. 


I just never thought I’d see a Hutch team like this.
sballwatcher

Registered:
Posts: 229
Reply with quote  #682 
This is an amazing stat about the B1G/ACC Challenge. Per ACC Softball Twitter.

In 4⃣ years of the #ACCSB/@B1Gsoftball Challenge:

140 games played.
Both leagues are 2-2.
Overall record for both leagues is 70-70.
TheVille

Registered:
Posts: 44
Reply with quote  #683 
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3298


On paper, yes. But I've watched them play a couple of their games, and I've been really disappointed. They have essentially no offense, and Beaubien has been giving up more runs than she did last year - lots of walks and hbp. They should have won that 2nd game against Louisville, but UNC just outplayed them in both games. 


I saw that game. It was a tight game but can't see how they should have won. They didn't score as you said before and lost 2-1. Louisville played a complete game. 
sballwatcher

Registered:
Posts: 229
Reply with quote  #684 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVille


I saw that game. It was a tight game but can't see how they should have won. They didn't score as you said before and lost 2-1. Louisville played a complete game. 


Lack of hitting with RISP. They had lots of chances and did not come through in those situations. I am guessing that is why poster said "should have won." Had many chances to win might have been a better way to put it.
coldnole

Registered:
Posts: 44
Reply with quote  #685 
Did anyone see the VaTech / TX St game? What's the deal with Rochard's meltdown? Box score is .... weird. Especially after her start to the season.


olddognotricks

Registered:
Posts: 11
Reply with quote  #686 
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldnole
Did anyone see the VaTech / TX St game? What's the deal with Rochard's meltdown? Box score is .... weird. Especially after her start to the season.




As they say, there’s no defense to walks and hit batters.
Hokiechip

Registered:
Posts: 122
Reply with quote  #687 
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldnole
Did anyone see the VaTech / TX St game? What's the deal with Rochard's meltdown? Box score is .... weird. Especially after her start to the season.




She was struggling from the 1st pitch of the 1st inning and in the 4th inning, the wheels just fell off (4 walks, 3 HBP, and a single). VT could have gotten out of the inning with "only" 5 runs, but an error, followed by 6 consecutive walks by the reliever created a complete disaster.

Good to see Rochard bounce back in her next two appearances with 10 consecutive shutout innings. Year to date, she has now pitched 54 innings and held the opponents scoreless in 53 of them.
Hokiechip

Registered:
Posts: 122
Reply with quote  #688 
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofzone



Couple observations on Va Tech. The put a beatdown on every team. Eberle, their #1 had a nice wkd but more curious is the fact she had exactly zero at bats. I find it hard to believe they are so deep she can't find her way into the lineup...she's one of their better hitters. If the new Coach holds to some antique philosophy that his pitchers don't hit well ok, good luck with that. 

 


Eberle batted for the first time this weekend. Went 1 for 2 with an RBI single.

But it was just one game, so hard to tell the long term plan. 
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 17,932
Reply with quote  #689 
As much as I hope AM succeeds, someone needs to talk with her that you don’t throw your only viable pitcher in back to back games of a midweek nonconference game. The ACC schedule is too important and this is an unwinnable game.
Jdf1316

Registered:
Posts: 25
Reply with quote  #690 
I thought she was foolish last year with how she used Anderson.  Never developed the 2 lefty's.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.