Ultimate College Softball
Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 1 of 4      1   2   3   4   Next
TheVille

Registered:
Posts: 15
Reply with quote  #1 
How's the fall going throughout the ACC? Louisville did intersquad games last weekend and they go at it again this weekend. 
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 877
Reply with quote  #2 
Duke opens their new stadium this Saturday with a Scrimmage against NC State. Curiously, the scrimmage is being live streamed on ESPN3 @ 4pm. 

UGA comes up to play UNC this Saturday also. 


outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 877
Reply with quote  #3 
Looking at UVAs roster there are 2 kids missing. Pitcher, Patti-Maye Ohanian from Va. and Madi Traver from Texas. UVA reported they both signed but neither is on current updated roster. 

Any info where they ended up? 
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 877
Reply with quote  #4 
Looks like Pitcher Ohanian ended up a Christopher Newport, one of the top D3 schools in the country & Traver is on UVA roster. Traver is nice pickup for UVA. 
Sealfinger

Registered:
Posts: 6
Reply with quote  #5 
GT. Better or worse record in 2018 without Hoerner? Related: regardless of record in 2018, is program now trending in the right direction without Hoerner?
Fresh

Registered:
Posts: 2,144
Reply with quote  #6 
2018 better. Trending up. Will take a couple of years to correct some recruiting situations. Should be better at fundamentals and accountability.
Still_JAD

Registered:
Posts: 357
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealfinger
GT. Better or worse record in 2018 without Hoerner? Related: regardless of record in 2018, is program now trending in the right direction without Hoerner?


GT set the bar pretty low in 2017, so the chances of 2018 being an improvement are good.
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 17,071
Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_JAD


GT set the bar pretty low in 2017, so the chances of 2018 being an improvement are good.


😭😭😭
Dusty

Registered:
Posts: 94
Reply with quote  #9 
GT this year will be kind of like UVA last year, the first question to be answered will be can the new coach get as good or better results with the old coach's recruits and returning players.  My understanding is that the new coach is more of a drill sergeant, type A personality while the old coach was too soft and sweet with her players.  It could get ugly early on if the players don't buy in with Morales.

Very odd that the UVa pitching commit ended up at CNU.  The CNU coach has a hard earned reputation as a collector of Va players, kind of like JMU was under Dean only at the D3 level.  Hope it works out for her. 
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 877
Reply with quote  #10 
Reigning D3 National Champion beat both Longwood & UVA over the weekend. 

Not sure what more to say....
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 17,071
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofzone
Reigning D3 National Champion beat both Longwood & UVA over the weekend. 

Not sure what more to say....


[frown] Want the good Cavaliers back!  GT just hired Morales.  Can UVA find a way to hire Larquier?
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 877
Reply with quote  #12 
They need time under Hardin. What most likely would have been her new #1 didn't get in school & is currently serving time @ CNU, D3 powerhouse in Newport News, Va. She picked up a very good 2018, a recent decomit from Longwood. New stadium renovations will help with recruiting certainly. 

Fall a crazy time. NC State was losing to startup Duke 2-0 this past Saturday, then game was tied at end of regulation. State ended up pulling away because it was a 10 inning scrimmage.
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 17,071
Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofzone
They need time under Hardin. What most likely would have been her new #1 didn't get in school & is currently serving time @ CNU, D3 powerhouse in Newport News, Va. She picked up a very good 2018, a recent decomit from Longwood. New stadium renovations will help with recruiting certainly. 

Fall a crazy time. NC State was losing to startup Duke 2-0 this past Saturday, then game was tied at end of regulation. State ended up pulling away because it was a 10 inning scrimmage.


HALLELUJAH!  HALLELUJAH!

I watched a lot of that Duke/NCState game.  It was ODD (mainly the girl scoring on a passed ball where the catcher looked like she had no interest in trying).
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 11,255
Reply with quote  #14 
I am early in, and noticed that the first batter of the game for NCState had her foot outside the box on contact with the pitch....

Crickets from the blue.

Shouldn't that call be a call made by the blue on the bases, like a check swing?
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 11,255
Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrot


HALLELUJAH!  HALLELUJAH!

I watched a lot of that Duke/NCState game.  It was ODD (mainly the girl scoring on a passed ball where the catcher looked like she had no interest in trying).
NC State.... wow, what a plummet from the Weiman/Davis Sweet 16 team
Doctor

Registered:
Posts: 23
Reply with quote  #16 
ACC is a one team league. Whoever takes the Clemson job will be able to get up to a competitive level very quickly. 
__________________
 
Dusty

Registered:
Posts: 94
Reply with quote  #17 
There seems to be a conventional wisdom that Clemson will hit the ground running because they're located in ideal recruiting territory.  True, but they're also in the heart of SEC country and the geographical location and conference affiliation doesn't seem to have helped UGA or USC that much.  Not saying they won't be successful but it isn't going to be as easy as it looks.  

I heard the UVA to CNU kid decommitted herself and that it wasn't academic or admissions issues.  Even if that wasn't the case she wasn't pitching enough in HS or travel to possibly step in there and be the UVA #1 pitcher right away.  I expect UVA to take a step backwards this year because they lost too much senior offense from last season and don't have enough incoming pitching talent to make up the difference.  The good news for the UVA coaching staff is that they likely will get enough time as the AD announced his retirement recently.   
Still_JAD

Registered:
Posts: 357
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty
There seems to be a conventional wisdom that Clemson will hit the ground running because they're located in ideal recruiting territory.  True, but they're also in the heart of SEC country and the geographical location and conference affiliation doesn't seem to have helped UGA or USC that much.  Not saying they won't be successful but it isn't going to be as easy as it looks.


Clemson has a better chance than USCe of keeping top recruits in-state, they are conveniently located next to GA and FL, and their admission standards are similar to FSU's, not Dukes.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 11,255
Reply with quote  #19 
And, a drop-dead-gorgeous location
Sec_fan91

Registered:
Posts: 2,152
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_JAD


Clemson has a better chance than USCe of keeping top recruits in-state, they are conveniently located next to GA and FL, and their admission standards are similar to FSU's, not Dukes.


Disagree. South Carolina has poured a lot into the softball program and great recruits continue to come in. Given the choice a player in the next decade will choose SEC over ACC any day outside of Florida State
Doctor

Registered:
Posts: 23
Reply with quote  #21 
Word on the street is Coach G #1 candidate to move form from Ok State to Clemson. 
__________________
 
Still_JAD

Registered:
Posts: 357
Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec_fan91
Disagree. South Carolina has poured a lot into the softball program and great recruits continue to come in. Given the choice a player in the next decade will choose SEC over ACC any day outside of Florida State


USCe has nice softball facilities, but they are in downtown Columbia, and downtown Columbia cannot hold a candle to Clemson as a college campus...I am not sure how tuition rates compare between the two, but I know a lot of kids from GA who cannot get into UGA go to USCe because they are pretty free wheeling with academic money.  Players looking to minimize their total out-of-pocket expenses are drawn to schools with academic money!
TheNarrator

Registered:
Posts: 3,557
Reply with quote  #23 
Compete pretty quickly for a conference title at a school that just won a national championship in football in a much nicer town, or struggle to finish higher than 10th in a league and go 0-2 in a regional.
Sec_fan91

Registered:
Posts: 2,152
Reply with quote  #24 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_JAD


USCe has nice softball facilities, but they are in downtown Columbia, and downtown Columbia cannot hold a candle to Clemson as a college campus...I am not sure how tuition rates compare between the two, but I know a lot of kids from GA who cannot get into UGA go to USCe because they are pretty free wheeling with academic money.  Players looking to minimize their total out-of-pocket expenses are drawn to schools with academic money!


Academic money plays a larger role, yes. However, these players have grown up and played this game dreaming to play at the highest level. If given the opportunity to play against more elite competition, they will jump at the chance. Clemson will be one program in a sea of ACC steams that are not on the softball map.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 11,255
Reply with quote  #25 
With JAD and Narrator
Still_JAD

Registered:
Posts: 357
Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec_fan91
Academic money plays a larger role, yes. However, these players have grown up and played this game dreaming to play at the highest level. If given the opportunity to play against more elite competition, they will jump at the chance. Clemson will be one program in a sea of ACC steams that are not on the softball map.


Clemson campus >>> USCe campus
Clemson football >>> USCe football
Clemson athletic facilities >>> USCe athletic facilities
Clemson softball coach >>> USCe softball coach (assuming Coach G from OSU becomes HC)
ACC <<< SEC

The only advantage I can see USCe having is the SEC overall is a stronger conference than the ACC, but FSU has proven that an ACC team can make it deep in the tournament and Oklahoma is going for a threepeat and is not in the SEC.  Softball players grow up dreaming about playing in the WCWS and Clemson will offer a better chance of them getting there by the 3rd year of the program if they hire the right coach (Kenny G from OSU).

USCe just lost both of their starting pitchers and I would pick them to finish in the bottom 1/3 of the SEC this season.  They may still make it into the tournament with that record, but they need to have a strong out of conference schedule and win a lot of those game to help their RPI.
Sec_fan91

Registered:
Posts: 2,152
Reply with quote  #27 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_JAD


Clemson campus >>> USCe campus
Clemson football >>> USCe football
Clemson athletic facilities >>> USCe athletic facilities
Clemson softball coach >>> USCe softball coach (assuming Coach G from OSU becomes HC)
ACC <<< SEC

The only advantage I can see USCe having is the SEC overall is a stronger conference than the ACC, but FSU has proven that an ACC team can make it deep in the tournament and Oklahoma is going for a threepeat and is not in the SEC.  Softball players grow up dreaming about playing in the WCWS and Clemson will offer a better chance of them getting there by the 3rd year of the program if they hire the right coach (Kenny G from OSU).

USCe just lost both of their starting pitchers and I would pick them to finish in the bottom 1/3 of the SEC this season.  They may still make it into the tournament with that record, but they need to have a strong out of conference schedule and win a lot of those game to help their RPI.


Yes, but you’re making a case for a team that won’t come into existence until 2020. There are a lot of undetermined variables. You can’t put all of your weight on that.

On another note, Beverly Smith took a program that was absolutely terrible and has been rebuilding it piece by piece. She is a great coach.
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 17,071
Reply with quote  #28 
Just want to remind everyone that NC State started their program while I was in college and won the ACC within the first two years. Now that coach is an assistant at USCe.
Daddylawman

Registered:
Posts: 212
Reply with quote  #29 
FWIW - I know a ton of southern kids who love Clemson - but a ton who don't because there's literally nothing there but the school.  The town itself is not much.

The reason Georgia kids go to SC is because there are so many more opportunities under the Academic Common Market (in state tuition for certain majors), Clemson doesn't offer much in that regard.

I respectfully disagree with JAD about the athletic facilities.  The cluster of facilities where the SC softball field is located is about as nice as it gets.  Plus a female athlete might notice the fact that one school just won a National Championship in a woman's sport.

None of this is a shot at Clemson, great school - but certainly no slam dunk when compared to SC.
Sec_fan91

Registered:
Posts: 2,152
Reply with quote  #30 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddylawman
FWIW - I know a ton of southern kids who love Clemson - but a ton who don't because there's literally nothing there but the school.  The town itself is not much.

The reason Georgia kids go to SC is because there are so many more opportunities under the Academic Common Market (in state tuition for certain majors), Clemson doesn't offer much in that regard.

I respectfully disagree with JAD about the athletic facilities.  The cluster of facilities where the SC softball field is located is about as nice as it gets.  Plus a female athlete might notice the fact that one school just won a National Championship in a woman's sport.

None of this is a shot at Clemson, great school - but certainly no slam dunk when compared to SC.


Agreed.

To do anything you have to drive to Greenville, or at least Athens from Clemson.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.