Ultimate College Softball
Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
HenryLouisAaron

Registered:
Posts: 548
Reply with quote  #1 
I watched Monica Abbott pitch against Kelani Ricketts in the NPF last night. What could have been a fine pitcher's duel was marred by two terrible fielding miscues by the Pride. With runners on second and third (with 2 outs), Ricketts got the batter to hit a routine ground ball to shortstop for what should have been the third out - but Shelby Pendley misplayed the ball off her glove and into CF. Both runners scored (2-0 Scrapyard Dawgs). 

A few innings later, with runners on first and second (and 2 outs), Ricketts got the batter to hit a ground ball right back to her... but she threw it away - into the RF corner... and both runners scored. 

The Dogs went into the 7th inning leading 4-0 and Abbott had a no hitter going. The Pride had their 3, 4 & 5 batters coming up. Sierra Romero struck out (for the third time). Two outs to go for the no hitter.

Lauren Chamberlain (who had struck out swinging both times on chest high fast balls on the outside corner) took ball one... then caught up with that same pitch she had been missing - and smacked it over the fence in right center. No hitter gone, shut out gone. 

The next batter, Shelby Pendley took a called third strike - and pointed out to the ump that he must be blind - and was promptly thrown out of the game. 

Chelsea Goodacre meekly popped out to second base - and the game was over.

Monica Abbott struck out 15 batters (and walked two) to take her record to 4-0 with one save in her five appearances this season.

Abbott struck out 3 in the 1st, 3 in the 2nd, 2 in the 3rd, 2 in the 4th, 1 in the 5th, 2 in the 6th and 2 in the 7th. 

Here is how the Pride lineup did against Abbott...

LF Hallie Wilson 0-3, 2K, pop up to SS.
RF Kelly Kretschman 0-2, 1K, BB, deep fly out to LF.
2B Sierra Romero 0-3, 3K
DP Lauren Chamberlain 1-3, 2K, solo HR to RC.
SS Shelby Pendley 0-3, 2K, pop up to third base.
C Chelsea Goodacre 0-3, 1K, gb to 2b, pop up to 2b.
1B Gionna Disalvatore 0-1, BB, gb to SS.
3B Courtney Ceo 0-2, 2K.

Gionna D. was the only batter in the lineup who did not strike out. She had a walk and a ground ball to shortstop in her two plate appearances. If she had gotten to the plate for a third time... I would have bet heavily - that she, too - would have struck out. 

Abbott was throwing SMOKE! Kretschman's deep fly ball to LF - and Chamberlain's HR were the only two times that a Pride batter hit the ball solidly.

I think Pendley's argument with the plate umpire went like this:
"How can you call that a strike... when you didn't see it..?"

Ricketts' ERA is still 0.00 for the season - as all of the Dawgs runs were unearned. 

Btw... Kretschman is still the best hitter in the game - as she is currently hitting .500 with a 1.000 SLG% (even after going 0-2).
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 17,014
Reply with quote  #2 
Can someone get HLA to the NPF PR office ASAP!   This is probably the best publicity the NPF has had in years.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 11,044
Reply with quote  #3 
Nailed it
Shadetree

Registered:
Posts: 52
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrot
Can someone get HLA to the NPF PR office ASAP!   This is probably the best publicity the NPF has had in years.


the ONLY publicity.   sad
smileyface

Registered:
Posts: 192
Reply with quote  #5 
I enjoy watching these games and I would think just about any hard core softball fan would but it seems not many people know about it. It is well worth the 50 bucks for the NPF TV
lovsofbal

Registered:
Posts: 1,460
Reply with quote  #6 
Is this NPFTV's first year?
Shadetree

Registered:
Posts: 52
Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovsofbal
Is this NPFTV's first year?


second year
smileyface

Registered:
Posts: 192
Reply with quote  #8 
I read recently that the Olympic channel is going to partner with NPF tv and show some of the games there
HenryLouisAaron

Registered:
Posts: 548
Reply with quote  #9 
<< Can someone get HLA to the NPF PR office ASAP!   This is probably the best publicity the NPF has had in years. >> (jayrot)

The NPF pays me handsomely to cover their biggest games.
I get .00007 cents per word.
lovsofbal

Registered:
Posts: 1,460
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree


second year


Thanks, I think I'm going to check it out.
Shadetree

Registered:
Posts: 52
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovsofbal


Thanks, I think I'm going to check it out.


IMO it is very poorly done as fixed cameras and announcers that try hard but are not knowledgeable about the game.  USSSA does a good job with multiple cameras and good graphics.  Fixed cameras drive me crazy as you have no idea what is going on when the ball leaves the field of view.  Was hoping this years product was going to be better than last after a years experience.   keep hoping [frown]
HenryLouisAaron

Registered:
Posts: 548
Reply with quote  #12 
<< I enjoy watching these games and I would think just about any hard core softball fan would but it seems not many people know about it. It is well worth the 50 bucks for the NPF TV >> (smileyface)

What I love most about the NPF - is getting to watch star match ups. Getting to see the likes of Monica Abbott pitch against the likes of Kretschman, Romero, Chamberlain, Pendley... is great stuff.

But there are some very big weaknesses in the NPF coverage.

The camera work can be very poor in their NPF TV coverage. Many times it is just a static camera angle from behind home plate. With this angle, you can at least see the pitcher vs. batter battle - and you get to see "most" of the field. Unfortunately, you do not get to see a ball hit down the third baseline or the first baseline - or anything hit into the outfield down either line. 

Worse still... is when they choose to show their camera angle from the first base side (or from third base side). When either of these angles are used, you see the pitcher and all the infielders... but you do not see the batter (or any of the outfield). And they use this way too often.

Some games have a center field camera angle (like the one we are all familiar with when watching NCAA softball - or pretty much any baseball game)... but many NPF games do NOT have a CF camera. This is a MAJOR weakness in their "coverage".

Most of the time - the announcers are pretty poor. 

In my opinion, they have a lot of work to do - before their tv coverage becomes even adequate. 
HenryLouisAaron

Registered:
Posts: 548
Reply with quote  #13 
Doooohhh... 
After that last post...
my NPF rate for covering their big games has been reduced to a meager .00004 cents per word.
smileyface

Registered:
Posts: 192
Reply with quote  #14 
I agree that it needs a lot of work. And it surprising to me how many of the announcers don't know what they are talking about and how they don't even bother to learn the pronunciation of the players names.

But to me it is better than nothing [smile]
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 17,014
Reply with quote  #15 
Working your way out of a job HLA!
Mark_H

Registered:
Posts: 701
Reply with quote  #16 
Might be time to move the pitching rubber back in the NPF
__________________
Mark H
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 17,014
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_H
Might be time to move the pitching rubber back in the NPF


Lord have mercy at what the offense would do to non-Abbott pitchers.
MadDogsDad

Registered:
Posts: 2,178
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrot


Lord have mercy at what the offense would do to non-Abbott pitchers.


Right? Kretchman would be hitting .750

__________________
And if I don't like what you say then...

your kid sucks.
LCITSH

Registered:
Posts: 2,410
Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryLouisAaron
I watched Monica Abbott pitch against Kelani Ricketts in the NPF last night. What could have been a fine pitcher's duel was marred by two terrible fielding miscues by the Pride. With runners on second and third (with 2 outs), Ricketts got the batter to hit a routine ground ball to shortstop for what should have been the third out - but Shelby Pendley misplayed the ball off her glove and into CF. Both runners scored (2-0 Scrapyard Dawgs). 

A few innings later, with runners on first and second (and 2 outs), Ricketts got the batter to hit a ground ball right back to her... but she threw it away - into the RF corner... and both runners scored. 

The Dogs went into the 7th inning leading 4-0 and Abbott had a no hitter going. The Pride had their 3, 4 & 5 batters coming up. Sierra Romero struck out (for the third time). Two outs to go for the no hitter.

Lauren Chamberlain (who had struck out swinging both times on chest high fast balls on the outside corner) took ball one... then caught up with that same pitch she had been missing - and smacked it over the fence in right center. No hitter gone, shut out gone. 

The next batter, Shelby Pendley took a called third strike - and pointed out to the ump that he must be blind - and was promptly thrown out of the game. 

Chelsea Goodacre meekly popped out to second base - and the game was over.

Monica Abbott struck out 15 batters (and walked two) to take her record to 4-0 with one save in her five appearances this season.

Abbott struck out 3 in the 1st, 3 in the 2nd, 2 in the 3rd, 2 in the 4th, 1 in the 5th, 2 in the 6th and 2 in the 7th. 

Here is how the Pride lineup did against Abbott...

LF Hallie Wilson 0-3, 2K, pop up to SS.
RF Kelly Kretschman 0-2, 1K, BB, deep fly out to LF.
2B Sierra Romero 0-3, 3K
DP Lauren Chamberlain 1-3, 2K, solo HR to RC.
SS Shelby Pendley 0-3, 2K, pop up to third base.
C Chelsea Goodacre 0-3, 1K, gb to 2b, pop up to 2b.
1B Gionna Disalvatore 0-1, BB, gb to SS.
3B Courtney Ceo 0-2, 2K.

Gionna D. was the only batter in the lineup who did not strike out. She had a walk and a ground ball to shortstop in her two plate appearances. If she had gotten to the plate for a third time... I would have bet heavily - that she, too - would have struck out. 

Abbott was throwing SMOKE! Kretschman's deep fly ball to LF - and Chamberlain's HR were the only two times that a Pride batter hit the ball solidly.

I think Pendley's argument with the plate umpire went like this:
"How can you call that a strike... when you didn't see it..?"

Ricketts' ERA is still 0.00 for the season - as all of the Dawgs runs were unearned. 

Btw... Kretschman is still the best hitter in the game - as she is currently hitting .500 with a 1.000 SLG% (even after going 0-2).


Beyond College Softball folder.

__________________
Terrell S. Hebert
Louisiana USSSA Church Coordinator
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.