Ultimate College Softball
Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 2 of 3      Prev   1   2   3   Next
SECFan04

Registered:
Posts: 496
Reply with quote  #31 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scupino
So UCLA has another top pitcher coming in -- Faraima.   I sincerly hope that if KIP ruins her (psychologically) as she has so many others, UCLA will finally pull the plug on her.

 

Megan Faraimo Gatorade National Player of the Year.



So was Paige McDuffee
TyCobb

Registered:
Posts: 1,099
Reply with quote  #32 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonBear15
I wonder how much pitching Herzog will actually do. She was phenomenal in high school- Texas Gatorade POY- but I think her bat is what will get her into the lineup early. She’s one of the most versatile players I’ve ever seen.


Thanks, is she a slapper or normal hitter?  Right handed hitter or left handed?  Thanks.
SECFan04

Registered:
Posts: 496
Reply with quote  #33 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCobb


Thanks, is she a slapper or normal hitter?  Right handed hitter or left handed?  Thanks.


She is a left handed hitter

She can slap or swing away, she does have a lot of pop and good speed. Just a really versatile athlete! She can do it all, I expect her to be a major asset at the plate next season for FSU

As for her pitching, I am not 100% sold but is capable. 


If she plays to her capabilities she could win ACC freshman of the year
TyCobb

Registered:
Posts: 1,099
Reply with quote  #34 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SECFan04


She is a left handed hitter

She can slap or swing away, she does have a lot of pop and good speed. Just a really versatile athlete! She can do it all, I expect her to be a major asset at the plate next season for FSU

As for her pitching, I am not 100% sold but is capable. 


If she plays to her capabilities she could win ACC freshman of the year


Thanks, wonder if she would be a better outfielder or infielder.  I am excited to see her play!
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 17,756
Reply with quote  #35 
If KIP doesn’t win the title in the next two years (with 2 national Gatorade players of the year in the circle and one in the OF), then someone needs to address the situation.
HoustonBear15

Registered:
Posts: 320
Reply with quote  #36 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCobb


Thanks, wonder if she would be a better outfielder or infielder.  I am excited to see her play!
She is a lefty who can bunt, slap, or hit for power. She also steals bases really well. When she’s not pitching, she’s in the outfield. I’m not sure that’s she’s ever played any infield.

In the circle, she was the starting as a freshman on a very good high school team, leading them to the state tournament. She went to the same high school in Houston as the Emanuel sisters and Kendall Burton from UGA though she didn’t play with them. This season she went 26-1 in the circle and had 280 strikeouts in 150 innings pitched. Truly phenomenal. I don’t know how well that will translate to the college level but she can only get better once she starts working with the coaching staff. She will primarily be an outfielder but could turn into a Rainey Gaffin type of player.
TyCobb

Registered:
Posts: 1,099
Reply with quote  #37 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonBear15
She is a lefty who can bunt, slap, or hit for power. She also steals bases really well. When she’s not pitching, she’s in the outfield. I’m not sure that’s she’s ever played any infield.

In the circle, she was the starting as a freshman on a very good high school team, leading them to the state tournament. She went to the same high school in Houston as the Emanuel sisters and Kendall Burton from UGA though she didn’t play with them. This season she went 26-1 in the circle and had 280 strikeouts in 150 innings pitched. Truly phenomenal. I don’t know how well that will translate to the college level but she can only get better once she starts working with the coaching staff. She will primarily be an outfielder but could turn into a Rainey Gaffin type of player.


Thank you for the great info.  Overall do you think she is one of the top prospects in this class?  Did FSU get a game changer?
HoustonBear15

Registered:
Posts: 320
Reply with quote  #38 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyCobb


Thank you for the great info.  Overall do you think she is one of the top prospects in this class?  Did FSU get a game changer?
She’s a top 5 recruit in the nation and I’ve seen her as high as #2 by recruiting services. FSU got a few good ones that I think can lead them back to the WCWS.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 16,033
Reply with quote  #39 

Sports can be so brutally stark in who is determined to be a loser and who is a winner by dimwits. Alex Ovechkin, one of the top 5 players in the NHL for more than a dozen years, was a non-champion. The Skip Baylesses of the world would term him a loser. Then, today, that was washed away forever.

Good for him

DunninLA

Registered:
Posts: 5,145
Reply with quote  #40 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrot
If KIP doesn’t win the title in the next two years (with 2 national Gatorade players of the year in the circle and one in the OF), then someone needs to address the situation.
no way.   I was SO conflicted and upset when Lang led them to the Title in 2010.   At the time  thought ... oh CRAP, now they're not going to fire her.

Unfortunately UCLA get SOOOO much talent coming in that even if KIP drives the life and joy out of half of them, they will still make it to the WCWS with regularity, and that means she's a lifer.

Imagine what Mike White could do with all that talent.  They'd be up there with Oklahoma and Florida.

__________________
qui tacet consentire videtur
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 16,033
Reply with quote  #41 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunninLA
no way.   I was SO conflicted and upset when Lang led them to the Title in 2010.   At the time  thought ... oh CRAP, now they're not going to fire her.

I mean Fernandez is the best recruiter in softball.  So the talent keeps showing up, and getting ruined by KIP.
Best recruiter.... PUHHHHHHHLEASE.

These kids, all in state, grow up with their rooms painted powder blue and gold.

Pick....of...the...litter

DunninLA

Registered:
Posts: 5,145
Reply with quote  #42 
3LT, yeah, on second thought I removed that sentence.
__________________
qui tacet consentire videtur
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 17,756
Reply with quote  #43 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunninLA
no way.   I was SO conflicted and upset when Lang led them to the Title in 2010.   At the time  thought ... oh CRAP, now they're not going to fire her.

Unfortunately UCLA get SOOOO much talent coming in that even if KIP drives the life and joy out of half of them, they will still make it to the WCWS with regularity, and that means she's a lifer.

Imagine what Mike White could do with all that talent.  They'd be up there with Oklahoma and Florida.


#keepKIP
CoachZ

Registered:
Posts: 772
Reply with quote  #44 
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcouvillion


Deifel is staying at Arkansas

I didn't realize van Zee, DePonte, and Thomas were seniors. Woops. Flores will be back, add in the 8 they signed this year, they might have a good team, offense coach really good down there.

For OU Lopez and Conrad aren't that great of pitchers. Lopez stuff can be really flat and can give up LOTS of runs in outings, same with Conrad. We will just have to see how good Vestal is.


It is a mistake to judge pitchers’ ability and potential based on inconsistent opportunity. There’s a lot to be said for being given the ball and being allowed to run with it without the tightness of fear of “the hook” for the All-American upper classman. Ask pretty much every stud pitcher cursed with the “number 2” label at any bigtime program. Athletes who are that good play like who you tell them they are. If you keep telling them that they’re number 3 or 4, they usually pitch like it.
Delaney Gourley was a great example. She struggled her freshman year behind Rogers and Haegar. Walton, being no dummy, kept handing her the ball and letting her get settled. The opposite example would be every young stud at LSU behind Walljasper and Hoover for the last three years. None of them got consistent chances, so none of them got comfortable enough to look capable of running the show. Most D1 coaches bail pretty early from giving a newbies a ton of opportunities when they have established studs ahead of them. Their actual ability shows when they are allowed to settle in (i.e. Haff and Beaubien this year).
RahOKU

Registered:
Posts: 1,734
Reply with quote  #45 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachZ


It is a mistake to judge pitchers’ ability and potential based on inconsistent opportunity. There’s a lot to be said for being given the ball and being allowed to run with it without the tightness of fear of “the hook” for the All-American upper classman. Ask pretty much every stud pitcher cursed with the “number 2” label at any bigtime program. Athletes who are that good play like who you tell them they are. If you keep telling them that they’re number 3 or 4, they usually pitch like it.
Delaney Gourley was a great example. She struggled her freshman year behind Rogers and Haegar. Walton, being no dummy, kept handing her the ball and letting her get settled. The opposite example would be every young stud at LSU behind Walljasper and Hoover for the last three years. None of them got consistent chances, so none of them got comfortable enough to look capable of running the show. Most D1 coaches bail pretty early from giving a newbies a ton of opportunities when they have established studs ahead of them. Their actual ability shows when they are allowed to settle in (i.e. Haff and Beaubien this year).


Great post. I think Mariah Lopez will blossom into a No. 1 next season. She always has made PG very happy by not issuing free passes. Don't forget, Lopez held the top spot in the national recruiting rankings through much of her high school career.

__________________
"We Americans have good teeth and don't eat spotted dick." -- Columnist Kurt Schlichter
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 1,930
Reply with quote  #46 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachZ


It is a mistake to judge pitchers’ ability and potential based on inconsistent opportunity. There’s a lot to be said for being given the ball and being allowed to run with it without the tightness of fear of “the hook” for the All-American upper classman. Ask pretty much every stud pitcher cursed with the “number 2” label at any bigtime program. Athletes who are that good play like who you tell them they are. If you keep telling them that they’re number 3 or 4, they usually pitch like it.
Delaney Gourley was a great example. She struggled her freshman year behind Rogers and Haegar. Walton, being no dummy, kept handing her the ball and letting her get settled. The opposite example would be every young stud at LSU behind Walljasper and Hoover for the last three years. None of them got consistent chances, so none of them got comfortable enough to look capable of running the show. Most D1 coaches bail pretty early from giving a newbies a ton of opportunities when they have established studs ahead of them. Their actual ability shows when they are allowed to settle in (i.e. Haff and Beaubien this year).


What a great post.

UGA & UNC are 2 examples come to mind. Both coaches threw their #1s Gray & Pickett in every single meaningless game. Both for self serving wins & to pad stats of their pitchers. AND, at the expense of Freshman sitting in the Bullpen watching paint dry. We know Gray's story. Pickett, well, like in her Freshman year you could argue she was just worn out. Pickett could help her own cause by getting in better shape physically no doubt. 

In both cases, there were Freshman available to help their teams. Now these same Freshman are no nearer game ready than when they arrived on campus. Getting your highly recruited Freshman much needed innings early would certainly eliminate alot of needless transferring to I imagine.

Already bunch of optimistic talk about all these highly ranked freshman coming in September who will step in and fill the void of some departed All American. That be great uh?? Anybody hanging on that dream has a better chance of acquiring an STD tonight.

That said, all the 'self serving' wins no doubt provide much needed job security.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 16,033
Reply with quote  #47 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunninLA


Imagine what Mike White could do with all that talent.  They'd be up there with Oklahoma and Florida.

The last seven years:

Pac-12 titles

UO: 5

UCLA: 0

WCWS appearances

UO: 5

UCLA: 4


3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 16,033
Reply with quote  #48 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunninLA
3LT, yeah, on second thought I removed that sentence.
LOL. I knew you were among the sane!
Dusty

Registered:
Posts: 181
Reply with quote  #49 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns

 

The last seven years:

Pac-12 titles

UO: 5

UCLA: 0

WCWS appearances

UO: 5

UCLA: 4




I figured he meant winning the only tournament that matters.  UCLA may be the only job in the country where a team that consistently gets into the WCWS but doesn't win it can be rationally be called an underachiever.  And no, I don't consider that criticism of MW to be rational. 
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 16,033
Reply with quote  #50 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty


I figured he meant winning the only tournament that matters.  UCLA may be the only job in the country where a team that consistently gets into the WCWS but doesn't win it can be rationally be called an underachiever.  And no, I don't consider that criticism of MW to be rational. 
0 WCWS titles in that span, too

The key word in your post.... rationally

trudat
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 17,756
Reply with quote  #51 
I mean she’s basically the Mike Martin of softball.
MOJOERASER

Registered:
Posts: 359
Reply with quote  #52 
Sometimes teams run into a buzz saw of a team. For Oregon the last couple of years their teams that have eliminated them won the World Series. OU and FSU. Oregon is as talented as most teams , they just have to punch thru and see what it takes. I seen my team commit errors and swing at pitches they never had during regular season. Just a different time of year and different atmosphere to adjust to. Not to mention your playing elite teams every game. I see why everyone gives Mike so much grief but he is a really really good coach and I like his attitude, he just needs to figure a few things out and sometimes it’s simple things.
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 1,930
Reply with quote  #53 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOJOERASER
Sometimes teams run into a buzz saw of a team. For Oregon the last couple of years their teams that have eliminated them won the World Series. OU and FSU. Oregon is as talented as most teams , they just have to punch thru and see what it takes. I seen my team commit errors and swing at pitches they never had during regular season. Just a different time of year and different atmosphere to adjust to. Not to mention your playing elite teams every game. I see why everyone gives Mike so much grief but he is a really really good coach and I like his attitude, he just needs to figure a few things out and sometimes it’s simple things.


Fair post. And for whatever reasons White gets too much negative crap thrown his way. Especially the part about not being able to win the WCWS. I personally have never seen him put his team in a position to lose via his own on field actions. Considering the geographical location of Oregon it's nothing short of a miracle he can recruit players to go there on a consistent basis. Same for Washington. He is by far one of the top 2 pitching coaches in the game. 

He is a phenomenal coach. Especially in the WCWS it comes down to execution by individual players. Blame him for putting his players in a position to win..and that he does. Don't however blame him for poor execution. That's on the players.
lovsofbal

Registered:
Posts: 1,922
Reply with quote  #54 
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofzone


Fair post. And for whatever reasons White gets too much negative crap thrown his way. Especially the part about not being able to win the WCWS. I personally have never seen him put his team in a position to lose via his own on field actions. Considering the geographical location of Oregon it's nothing short of a miracle he can recruit players to go there on a consistent basis. Same for Washington. He is by far one of the top 2 pitching coaches in the game. 

He is a phenomenal coach. Especially in the WCWS it comes down to execution by individual players. Blame him for putting his players in a position to win..and that he does. Don't however blame him for poor execution. That's on the players.


I think White gets negative press because of his relationship with the Stanford demise connection. I just read what was on here, not that I know any details. 
DunninLA

Registered:
Posts: 5,145
Reply with quote  #55 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovsofbal


I think White gets negative press because of his relationship with the Stanford demise connection. I just read what was on here, not that I know any details. 
 I have been rethinking my position on that whole White/Stanford situation.

We're really talking about two separate episodes --

1) White was asked, by virtue of being the father of a daughter-player at the Farm, to get involved in what some players thought was improper conduct by a member of *edit* Stanford's staff, a trainer if I recall correctly.  

Now, at that point, he could have simply said "are you nuts?  why would I get involved in THAT?.  Life is complicated enough without me poking into another coach's business... .especially a recruiting competitor.

But he didn't say that.   He jumped in with both feet and took the side of the complainants, and we all know where that led -- to an AD in over his head firing a legend of a coach for lack of proper oversight concerning the actions of a staff member.

2) White lashing out at three Stanford players -- who objected to his involvement in Rittman's firing by not shaking his hand after a Stanford-Oregon game, like an eight year old who just had his bike pushed over by a twelve year old.  He demanded that Stanford's new coach discipline the three offenders.

On the first matter, I would not have involved myself, but that's a judgement call that could go either way.

On the second matter, he revealed an unseemly part of his character -- anger outburst, retaliation, and most disturbing -- bullying, if you consider the difference in power position.

__________________
qui tacet consentire videtur
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 1,930
Reply with quote  #56 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunninLA
 I have been rethinking my position on that whole White/Stanford situation.

We're really talking about two separate episodes --

1) White was asked, by virtue of being the father of a daughter-player at the Farm, to get involved in what some players thought was improper conduct by a member of White's staff, a trainer if I recall correctly.  

Now, at that point, he could have simply said "are you nuts?  why would I get involved in THAT?.  Life is complicated enough without me poking into another coach's business... .especially a recruiting competitor.

But he didn't say that.   He jumped in with both feet and took the side of the complainants, and we all know where that led -- to an AD in over his head firing a legend of a coach for lack of proper oversight concerning the actions of a staff member.

2) White lashing out at three Stanford players -- who objected to his involvement in Ritter's firing by not shaking his hand after a Stanford-Oregon game, like an eight year old who just had his bike pushed over by a twelve year old.  He demanded that Stanford's new coach discipline the three offenders.

On the first matter, I would not have involved myself, but that's a judgement call that could go either way.

On the second matter, he revealed an unseemly part of his character -- anger outburst, retaliation, and most disturbing -- bullying, if you consider the difference in power position.


I've never heard what happened @ Stanford. Couple questions:

*Why wouldn't White, as Head Coach, get involved if a member of his own staff was involved? 
*A Recruiting Competitor? What's that mean. Thought it was a staff member?
*As Oregon coach he wanted 3 of his former players disciplined by new Head Coach? 

Thanks, have never heard what actually happened.
olddawg

Registered:
Posts: 963
Reply with quote  #57 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovsofbal


I think White gets negative press because of his relationship with the Stanford demise connection. I just read what was on here, not that I know any details. 


That may be part of it.

Another part is that from day one as Oregon head coach, White has been, fairly or not, deified.  He has also, beginning with what he inherited, had a lot of really good talent.  The combination of those two things tend to elevate expectations beyond reality.

Sort of makes it so that WCWS championship is the bar.  Anything short of that equals underachievement.

White has recruited great talent.  A hard look at the statistics over his tenure seems to indicate that, beyond the extent to which a player might be expected to improve by experience and repetition, most of the talent he has recruited has not markedly improved since their freshman season. 

Does that say anything about his actual coaching ability?  Maybe, but one wonders why he was immediately accorded such elevated coaching status when his only college coaching experience when he took the helm at Oregon was a couple of years as pitching coach there.

Great player does not consistently equal great coach. 


1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 3,585
Reply with quote  #58 
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofzone


I've never heard what happened @ Stanford. Couple questions:

*Why wouldn't White, as Head Coach, get involved if a member of his own staff was involved? 
*A Recruiting Competitor? What's that mean. Thought it was a staff member?
*As Oregon coach he wanted 3 of his former players disciplined by new Head Coach? 

Thanks, have never heard what actually happened.



It wasn't his own staff, it was Stanford's staff...just a misprint.  White's daughter, Nyree, was a bench warming pitcher at Stanford.
DunninLA

Registered:
Posts: 5,145
Reply with quote  #59 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1janiedough



It wasn't his own staff, it was Stanford's staff...just a misprint. .
my bad, fixed it, thanks.

__________________
qui tacet consentire videtur
LandLottery

Registered:
Posts: 188
Reply with quote  #60 
A good coach may be able to get a team to the CWS fairly frequently.  But, getting into the championship series usually requires a pitcher or a strong batting order that is an exceptional talent.  Iff you don't have that one special talent, you may never win, despite being able to develop a good team every year.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.