Ultimate College Softball
Sign up Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 5 of 6     «   Prev   2   3   4   5   6   Next
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 16,102
Reply with quote  #121 
I am guessing the prime sweet spot agewise is between 27 and 34
smileyface

Registered:
Posts: 208
Reply with quote  #122 
They had weather issues there and tryouts were cut to just 2 days or so. So since this was the case they should have looked at the body of work each individual has. Kretschman and Wiggins both should have been on the team. I would be surprised to find a better 2nd baseman than Romero offensively and defensively. Kelsey Stewart should not have even been invited cant imagine Moultrie being better than many of the outfielders there. Especially the NPF girls. Deja Mulipola cant throw a runner out and barely has a bat against good pitching. How about Nadia Taylor - that girl is an athlete
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 16,102
Reply with quote  #123 
You needed to be out there
iasoftballer

Registered:
Posts: 63
Reply with quote  #124 
Interesting to see all but two of last years national team make the final two teams.  I have to agree with Wiggins - how is she overlooked.  I understand I wasn't at the two day tryout but her career body of works shows different, she is in the top ten of almost every offensive category in the NPF.  She also has international experience playing multiple seasons in Japan.  I don't understand Romero as well.  Not as strong as Wiggins but again still up there in most NPF categories.  
EarlyGrayce

Registered:
Posts: 6,576
Reply with quote  #125 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1janiedough
Kretschman might have experienced the Lisa Fernandez moment.



Will there be steroid testing?

__________________

"What questions are not getting answered.  The only ones I see being avoided is "Why you switch from Dewey to Will I Wynn?"  and  "Why you switch from Bama_CF to Fresh?" and of course the best one that will never get answered, never in a million years... "When you bringing back KPI?"

Nextyear

Registered:
Posts: 268
Reply with quote  #126 
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyGrayce



Will there be steroid testing?


It is the Olympics.
lotsoffish

Registered:
Posts: 130
Reply with quote  #127 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iasoftballer
Interesting to see all but two of last years national team make the final two teams.  I have to agree with Wiggins - how is she overlooked.  I understand I wasn't at the two day tryout but her career body of works shows different, she is in the top ten of almost every offensive category in the NPF.  She also has international experience playing multiple seasons in Japan.  I don't understand Romero as well.  Not as strong as Wiggins but again still up there in most NPF categories.  




Could the US send two softball teams to the Olympics?
Still_JAD

Registered:
Posts: 535
Reply with quote  #128 
Team USA roster
https://www.teamusa.org/usa-softball/team-usa/women

Softball98mom

Registered:
Posts: 320
Reply with quote  #129 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsoffish




Could the US send two softball teams to the Olympics?


Only if there’s 2 USAs, 2 Japans, 2 Canadas...so no, one team per country.

Is it common for other Olympic team sports to have 2 teams leading up to the Olympics? I find it odd that USA softball has the funding/is willing to fund 2 teams for a sport that isn’t an official sport in the 2020 Olympics.
RELAX

Registered:
Posts: 353
Reply with quote  #130 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softball98mom
Only if there’s 2 USAs, 2 Japans, 2 Canadas...so no, one team per country. Is it common for other Olympic team sports to have 2 teams leading up to the Olympics? I find it odd that USA softball has the funding/is willing to fund 2 teams for a sport that isn’t an official sport in the 2020 Olympics.


Ummm, am I crazy or what? Softball IS an olympic sport in 2020, correct? Isn't that what all the hoopla is about!!!
lovsofbal

Registered:
Posts: 1,948
Reply with quote  #131 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RELAX


Ummm, am I crazy or what? Softball IS an olympic sport in 2020, correct? Isn't that what all the hoopla is about!!!


Isn't Baseball and Softball exhibition sports?
Softball98mom

Registered:
Posts: 320
Reply with quote  #132 
Quote:
Originally Posted by RELAX


Ummm, am I crazy or what? Softball IS an olympic sport in 2020, correct? Isn't that what all the hoopla is about!!!


Yes, in 2020 it’s an exhibition sport(I believe that’s the name of the 5 sports that were added for 2020). It’s still a step in the right direction!

This article explains things better than I could.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/495065/

‘The IOC’s vote may be a feminist victory for athletics, but it comes with some caveats. First, the decision is non-binding. The vote applies only to the Tokyo 2020 Olympics, and future host cities and committees have no obligation to keep the five sports.’


girlerl

Registered:
Posts: 75
Reply with quote  #133 
And since France has the 2024 olympics I wouldn’t hold your breath. May become an exhibition sport again in Los Angeles in 2028.
lovsofbal

Registered:
Posts: 1,948
Reply with quote  #134 
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlerl
And since France has the 2024 olympics I wouldn’t hold your breath. May become an exhibition sport again in Los Angeles in 2028.


Which is too bad, when there are teams from other countries around France.
nolefan

Registered:
Posts: 110
Reply with quote  #135 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovsofbal


Isn't Baseball and Softball exhibition sports?


No they're not exhibition sports or demonstration sports. They are additional sports being added to the 2020 Olympics. They would have to be considered again for future Olympics.

https://www.olympic.org/news/ioc-approves-five-new-sports-for-olympic-games-tokyo-2020

One team per country for those who qualify (i.e. softball - 6 teams, 15 players max. on the roster).


__________________
N
NatRx

Registered:
Posts: 76
Reply with quote  #136 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softball98mom


Only if there’s 2 USAs, 2 Japans, 2 Canadas...so no, one team per country.

Is it common for other Olympic team sports to have 2 teams leading up to the Olympics? I find it odd that USA softball has the funding/is willing to fund 2 teams for a sport that isn’t an official sport in the 2020 Olympics.


Not sure if it’s common for other sports, but here is what has been stated:

“USA Softball previously announced that they would sponsor a pair of teams to compete in 2018 to give more players the opportunity to play for Team USA and garner more experience in international competition in preparation for the 2020 Olympics.”

Also, the 2 teams announced are considered “the pool of players for the 2018 season”

They hold selection trials every year. There will likely be at least one more, in 2019. Looking back to the 2008 Olympic team, the 15 person roster was not officially announced until March 2008, so my guess is there’s still oppprtunity for all 34 of the 2018 athletes, as well as others who may find their way in to the pool over the next 2 years, to be considered for the final roster.
spazsdad

Registered:
Posts: 7,457
Reply with quote  #137 
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolefan


No they're not exhibition sports or demonstration sports. They are additional sports being added to the 2020 Olympics. They would have to be considered again for future Olympics.



They basically are. They were added by the host country. . It is a one time deal because Japan plays softball.

__________________
#SCOTUS x two
Fresh has rings. Ask him to tell you about them


nolefan

Registered:
Posts: 110
Reply with quote  #138 
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazsdad


They basically are. They were added by the host country. . It is a one time deal because Japan plays softball.


Demonstration/exhibition sports at the Olympics are not eligible for medals. Their purpose is for future consideration in the Olympic program.
Softball was added as an official Olympic sport in the 2020 Olympics where medals will be awarded. Beyond 2020 the host city will have a say in which "extra" sports they will host, unless softball is officially added to the core Olympic sports.

__________________
N
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 1,937
Reply with quote  #139 
An interesting distinction. Question would be do we even send a team if they can't win a medal? 
NatRx

Registered:
Posts: 76
Reply with quote  #140 
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofzone
An interesting distinction. Question would be do we even send a team if they can't win a medal? 


Of course. It would be selfish not to. The bigger picture is to grow this sport. Play for those who will come after them, and keep the dream alive.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 16,102
Reply with quote  #141 
BTW.... 15 for softball and 24 for baseball... what a crock of sh*t
Gators2014

Registered:
Posts: 4,078
Reply with quote  #142 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns
BTW.... 15 for softball and 24 for baseball... what a crock of sh*t


Weeell, baseball needs a lot more pitchers so not too drastic of a difference. 
leip822

Registered:
Posts: 468
Reply with quote  #143 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gators2014


Weeell, baseball needs a lot more pitchers so not too drastic of a difference. 

They really need 9 more pitchers???

__________________
sl
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 16,102
Reply with quote  #144 

Roster sizes should be 16 and 23, if it needs to be a combined 39

Speaking of pitchers, 10 of the 12 made it.

Not really a tryout.

3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 16,102
Reply with quote  #145 
wonder how injured Parker, Lowary and Osorio must be to be forced from being there
lotsoffish

Registered:
Posts: 130
Reply with quote  #146 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softball98mom
Only if there’s 2 USAs, 2 Japans, 2 Canadas...so no, one team per country. Is it common for other Olympic team sports to have 2 teams leading up to the Olympics? I find it odd that USA softball has the funding/is willing to fund 2 teams for a sport that isn’t an official sport in the 2020 Olympics.


Is Puerto Rico a part of the US?
lovsofbal

Registered:
Posts: 1,948
Reply with quote  #147 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsoffish


Is Puerto Rico a part of the US?


they have their own team if that's what your asking.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 16,102
Reply with quote  #148 
I get a sense that what he/she may be getting at is.... can Puerto Rico load a team up?
lovsofbal

Registered:
Posts: 1,948
Reply with quote  #149 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3leftturns
I get a sense that what he/she may be getting at is.... can Puerto Rico load a team up?


Strength wise?

I know Jaquish could've gone there I don't recall others. Didn't Osorio play with them?
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 16,102
Reply with quote  #150 

The inference I am drawing from the post is ... why can't ANY American ostensibly play there

And, I do not believe Osorio has played there...Ocasio does

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.