Ultimate College Softball
Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 1 of 4      1   2   3   4   Next
sbfan

Registered:
Posts: 361
Reply with quote  #1 
Institution            Former Coach            New Coach
Appalachian St.    Janice Savage
Austin Peay          Shane Showalter
Georgia Southern  Annie Smith
Georgia Tech        Shelly Hoerner
Incarnate Word     Amanda Gamboa
Indiana State       Tori Magner (Int)
La Salle               Ron Shoemaker
New Mexico          Erica Beach
Rider                   Jaclyn Timko-Gabelt
Tennessee State    Tom Opdenbrouw
trounced

Registered:
Posts: 28
Reply with quote  #2 
Does Aileen Morales get a look at Georgia Tech? Flattened out a bit this year but biggest improvement in the country last year at Radford and while these aren't good Power5 teams had wins this year over Virginia, Va Tech, and ...Georgia Tech, where she's an alum.
SchmorMi

Registered:
Posts: 19
Reply with quote  #3 
Rider University is open http://www.gobroncs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=20200&ATCLID=211589200 
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 397
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by trounced
Does Aileen Morales get a look at Georgia Tech? Flattened out a bit this year but biggest improvement in the country last year at Radford and while these aren't good Power5 teams had wins this year over Virginia, Va Tech, and ...Georgia Tech, where she's an alum.


I keep hearing Morales would be great fit at Ga Tech...Ok. Maybe so but, here's the problem. Ga Tech P5 Academic program. Radford, Mid Major on the upswing under her guidance. Most likely she can't get her Radford recruits into Ga Tech. Hoerner, at least as far as we know got her recruits into school. What makes anybody think Morales will be more successful recruiting a BETTER, SMARTER ballplayer to Ga Tech? Won't she essentially be recruiting the same type kid Hoerner got fired for recruiting? 
outofzone

Registered:
Posts: 397
Reply with quote  #5 
If Morales is that good, Clemson maybe a better fit for the type of kid she will need to compete. 

Now if she just really wants to coach at her alma mater, another story.
Prowler

Registered:
Posts: 1,306
Reply with quote  #6 
Every coach recruits the best kids they can that are the best fit at whatever school. If they can get marginal kids (academically) into a school who are better ballplayers than the ones they have, they'll do that. Doesn't mean they can't recruit a different kind of kid to a different school.

I'm sure James Franklin is recruiting a different kind of player to Penn State than he recruited to Vanderbilt (similar academically to Georgia Tech). Prior to that he was an assistant at Kansas State and Maryland, and probably recruited a different kind of player at each place to some degree -- Penn State has a lot better chance with blue-chippers than those schools.

If a coach can recruit and evaluate, he or she can recruit and evaluate and will adapt to the circumstances.

OldWiseOne

Registered:
Posts: 285
Reply with quote  #7 
Anyone going from a mid-major job to a P5 job who's taking "their kids" is going to be fired within 4 years. There's a reason most mid major kids are recruited to mid majors. Ask Mike Larabee how it worked out for him to take all his Wright State recruits into the SEC.
OldWiseOne

Registered:
Posts: 285
Reply with quote  #8 
Erica Beach at New Mexico was not retained.

http://www.golobos.com/news/2017/5/14/lobo-softball-coach-erica-beach-not-retained.aspx
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 16,655
Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofzone


I keep hearing Morales would be great fit at Ga Tech...Ok. Maybe so but, here's the problem. Ga Tech P5 Academic program. Radford, Mid Major on the upswing under her guidance. Most likely she can't get her Radford recruits into Ga Tech. Hoerner, at least as far as we know got her recruits into school. What makes anybody think Morales will be more successful recruiting a BETTER, SMARTER ballplayer to Ga Tech? Won't she essentially be recruiting the same type kid Hoerner got fired for recruiting? 


Here in lies the issue. Recruiting wasn't wholly the issue for Hoerner. There's been some good talent; it's just been more about coaching it up and getting it to produce.

As a matter of opinion, I think recruiting was one of Hoerner's stronger suits. I thought she did a decent job recruiting to the point that I kept hanging on to hope.
jayrot

Registered:
Posts: 16,655
Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWiseOne
Erica Beach at New Mexico was not retained.

http://www.golobos.com/news/2017/5/14/lobo-softball-coach-erica-beach-not-retained.aspx


Dang. I'm an EB fan. Maybe more as a player than a coach, but still.
lovsofbal

Registered:
Posts: 1,344
Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWiseOne
Anyone going from a mid-major job to a P5 job who's taking "their kids" is going to be fired within 4 years. There's a reason most mid major kids are recruited to mid majors. Ask Mike Larabee how it worked out for him to take all his Wright State recruits into the SEC.


Depends on who the recruit is.
1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 2,007
Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWiseOne
Erica Beach at New Mexico was not retained. http://www.golobos.com/news/2017/5/14/lobo-softball-coach-erica-beach-not-retained.aspx



The Lobos are perennial cellar dwellers.
Okfireman

Registered:
Posts: 1
Reply with quote  #13 
Georgia Tech just needed some pitching, a lot games were lost late due to pitching collapses. Coach Delong really turned the hitting around. He is a good recruiter, some really good players committed from all over the country. Hopefully he gets real consideration for the job.
TruDat

Registered:
Posts: 834
Reply with quote  #14 
I can't believe that the Maryland job isn't going to be open. What a terrible season (forget the upsets).
TerpAlum

Registered:
Posts: 759
Reply with quote  #15 
All quiet so far. Will talk to the athletic staff that I know.Don't always get accurate news because like I always say, an assistant AD is in charge of softball.

AD went to a game this year! Progress.
3leftturns

Registered:
Posts: 9,814
Reply with quote  #16 
Bizarre, how do you have MORE THAN a quarter of your wins against P5 tournament teams... and finish 28 games under 500... just flummoxing
NCexile

Registered:
Posts: 629
Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrot
Here in lies the issue. Recruiting wasn't wholly the issue for Hoerner. There's been some good talent; it's just been more about coaching it up and getting it to produce. As a matter of opinion, I think recruiting was one of Hoerner's stronger suits. I thought she did a decent job recruiting to the point that I kept hanging on to hope.


Correct.  Shelly is/was a pretty good recruiter.  The problem was her initial staff was weak.
ChinMusic

Registered:
Posts: 399
Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCexile


Correct.  Shelly is/was a pretty good recruiter.  The problem was her initial staff was weak.


Do these assistants want HC jobs and if so is this the year:

McKay - Texas
Fernandez- UCLA
Rocha - Florida
Dobson - LSU
Rittman - ( Kansas/ USA???)

Other big names???
TruDat

Registered:
Posts: 834
Reply with quote  #19 
3left, I hear that there is plenty of craziness going on down at MD with that coach. The senior pitchers stepped up in those upsets but the atmosphere that Wright cultivates is destructive according to my sources. More details may follow.
Drop_Curve

Registered:
Posts: 72
Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinMusic


Do these assistants want HC jobs and if so is this the year:

McKay - Texas
Fernandez- UCLA
Rocha - Florida
Dobson - LSU
Rittman - ( Kansas/ USA???)

Other big names???

I think you can possible add Mowatt to the list. Her job done at Ole Miss is impressive. She could start at a smaller D1 school as a HC.

__________________
Jacob Thomas Adkins
LSUsoftballfan

Registered:
Posts: 396
Reply with quote  #21 
Take Dobson off the list.  He isn't going anywhere and doesn't want to be a head coach again, I can almost guarantee you this.
Prowler

Registered:
Posts: 1,306
Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinMusic


Do these assistants want HC jobs and if so is this the year:

McKay - Texas
Fernandez- UCLA
Rocha - Florida
Dobson - LSU
Rittman - ( Kansas/ USA???)

Other big names???


Texas has oodles of talent and a fertile recruiting ground and is THE state university with almost limitless resources. Why would anyone hire an assistant from a staff that chronically underproduces?
MadDogsDad

Registered:
Posts: 2,033
Reply with quote  #23 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler


Texas has oodles of talent and a fertile recruiting ground and is THE state university with almost limitless resources. Why would anyone hire an assistant from a staff that chronically underproduces?


Tripp has only been at Texas since August. Now if you want to talk about Falls, I could see your point.

__________________
And if I don't like what you say then...

your kid sucks.
ssrules

Registered:
Posts: 176
Reply with quote  #24 
IUPUI has posted an open HC position. Are they keeping Tarter and just posting it because of legal reasons?
atlfastpitch

Registered:
Posts: 12
Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCexile


Correct.  Shelly is/was a pretty good recruiter.  The problem was her initial staff was weak.


Exactly what would make you think she is a good recruiter?  I keep hearing that she has some good recruits coming in, but that was said last year too as she supposedly had a top 25 recruiting class.  Doesn't look like those freshmen played much.
ProveThemWrong

Registered:
Posts: 23
Reply with quote  #26 
I would assume that about the IUPUI position. I believe they have to repost it because of legal reasons...Any idea/word on who might be interested in the App State position?
Mangler

Registered:
Posts: 176
Reply with quote  #27 
Heard a rumor, cant verify its true, that USA will replace Clark.
ProveThemWrong

Registered:
Posts: 23
Reply with quote  #28 
I would be super surprised if they got rid of her. They went 35-20 this season and are usually at the top of the Sun Belt. Can you say the reason(s) you heard as to why they might replace her?
Goat1906

Registered:
Posts: 7
Reply with quote  #29 
I would love to see one of these coaches in up @ ? Lol !!!
cash

Registered:
Posts: 172
Reply with quote  #30 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler
Texas has oodles of talent and a fertile recruiting ground and is THE state university with almost limitless resources. Why would anyone hire an assistant from a staff that chronically underproduces?


Sometimes big names don’t always pan out as good Head Coaches... How about some mid major assistants or even good D2 head coaches that would make a good D1 head coach...
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation: