Ultimate College Softball
Register Calendar Latest Topics
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment   Page 6 of 21     «   Prev   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   Next   »
sbfan

Registered:
Posts: 370
Reply with quote  #151 
TerpAlum thinks these guys are all 80 years old. If they are, they must have found the Fountain of Youth.

http://www.teamusa.org/usa-softball/team-usa/mens-fast-pitch

The grass on TerpAlum's planet is purple, well, what little grass the unicorns haven't eaten.
Teacher

Registered:
Posts: 4
Reply with quote  #152 
Seems this topic needs to move to its own board.
__________________
teacher
1janiedough

Registered:
Posts: 2,350
Reply with quote  #153 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpAlum
https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/51799?utm_source=Indeed&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=Indeed

Job opening for assistant at UM. Perhaps one of those 40 known male fastpitch players in the US will quit their days jobs and apply for the $35K or so job on the east coast.



God you are so bitter!  Don't be such a hater cuz yer beloved Maryland is a perennial cellar dwellar with no light at the end of the tunnel!  
OldWiseOne

Registered:
Posts: 306
Reply with quote  #154 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpAlum
https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/51799?utm_source=Indeed&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=Indeed

Job opening for assistant at UM. Perhaps one of those 40 known male fastpitch players in the US will quit their days jobs and apply for the $35K or so job on the east coast.


1. The Maryland situation totally invalidates your main argument that all head coaches must be female former players. Julie Wright is a female and a former player, therefore according to you she is the most qualified to be the head coach for that program and anything she does is right because she is a female and a former player. But you don't agree with what Wright is doing....but since she is exactly what you're advocating for I'm not sure what you want.

2. As for the $35K assistant job, there are plenty of coaches, male and female, who would take that just to break into D1. However, if that is truly what they're paying for an assistant they're not going to get anyone good. Most mid-majors pay that or more and the good Power 5's pay way more then that. But I guarantee you'd still find younger male coaches jumping at the chance to prove themselves regardless of pay.
SBrules

Registered:
Posts: 395
Reply with quote  #155 
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWiseOne


1. The Maryland situation totally invalidates your main argument that all head coaches must be female former players. Julie Wright is a female and a former player, therefore according to you she is the most qualified to be the head coach for that program and anything she does is right because she is a female and a former player. But you don't agree with what Wright is doing....but since she is exactly what you're advocating for I'm not sure what you want.

2. As for the $35K assistant job, there are plenty of coaches, male and female, who would take that just to break into D1. However, if that is truly what they're paying for an assistant they're not going to get anyone good. Most mid-majors pay that or more and the good Power 5's pay way more then that. But I guarantee you'd still find younger male coaches jumping at the chance to prove themselves regardless of pay.



I'm not so sure most mid-majors pay more than that.
TruDat

Registered:
Posts: 915
Reply with quote  #156 
There are some very good women coaches out there. What I have seen over the years is that a portion of them get tangled into the drama of their teams and actually feed the fire for the girls to act out their pettiness. They can also be very demeaning when it comes to treating their players fairly. Case in point, why would 5 girls quit all at once at Maryland? You ever hear of that before? The climate there, from my sources was cancerous. The assistants quit and they have no job. You ever hear of that one before? I'd say hire the best person for the job, but like in any scenario, if you are hiring to fulfill a quota you can get burned by it.
spazsdad

Registered:
Posts: 4,392
Reply with quote  #157 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpAlum
We who have moved the sport forward have moved on.

Perhaps the sport has moved on from you.
OldWiseOne

Registered:
Posts: 306
Reply with quote  #158 
My bad....I fed the troll and like all trolls her response is impossible to comprehend and totally misses the irony in everything.
18handicap

Registered:
Posts: 234
Reply with quote  #159 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpAlum
https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/51799?utm_source=Indeed&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=Indeed

Job opening for assistant at UM. Perhaps one of those 40 known male fastpitch players in the US will quit their days jobs and apply for the $35K or so job on the east coast.


I make more than Double that with teacher retirement after 30 years of coaching high school softball. That salary is ridiculous.
SunkistSoftball

Registered:
Posts: 11
Reply with quote  #160 
Maryland pays well over 35K a year for an asst softball coach.  Closer to 63K.  In any event, it is not a very liveable wage in the DMV if you are in your mid 30's with a family.  It works for the early 20 something "I am just a couple of years removed from college" type asst.  But if you want a real mature asst who isn't as immature as some of your players and who may stay for more then 1 - 2 years, then you have to pay a little more.

TruDat, you couldn't be more correct when you talked about some of the asst's feeding into the drama of the players.  As a matter of fact, current coach Wright is good at that as well and so was Watten.  When you have a little more testosterone in the dugout, you don't tend to get that.  And TerpAlum, if the very green asst A.D. at Maryland hadn't listened to Ole Mrs    "This Is Our Sport and No Man is Gonna Coach a Big 10 Softball Team," up there in Michigan,  she had her coach ready to go in asst coach Tommy Santiago.  He was Courtney Scott Deifle's asst that was beloved by the players, a great teacher of the sport, and a great recruiter with connections all over the country.  The team wanted HIM to be their head coach, not Julie Wright.

But NOOOOOO,  he wears boxers and not panties, so i guess that invalidated him from consideration for a Big 10 softball head coaching job.  I guess it is ok for him to be an asst, but he is not qualified to be a head coach.  They basically told him not to even apply.   Too bad.   They have a mess on their hands over there.  As a person close to the program, I couldn't be more disappointed.   But the "Einsteins" in charge over there got it all under control.  No need to fret.

TruDat

Registered:
Posts: 915
Reply with quote  #161 
Tommy is a good coach and landed in a good spot. The girls wanted him but as you said, the inexperienced assistant AD (whatever that means, everyone is an assistant) had no clue what softball is about. This was a catastrophic hire if you are an incumbent player. You had a bad coach, a good coach and now this. The Watten haters would take her back in a minute, and that says something. I think it is being coy that they posted one job when two are open. I guess they don't want to send the message out there that the rats have jumped off the ship. They will use the resumes and contacts she has to fill both jobs so come August all will be good on paper. I want to know how recruiting goes this summer. I'd like to be in competition with MD on a player that they want. Let's see, where do I start?
rudymartinez

Registered:
Posts: 244
Reply with quote  #162 
I hear hermaphrodites work for cheap, would that please you Terp ?
slc1991

Registered:
Posts: 42
Reply with quote  #163 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunkistSoftball
Maryland pays well over 35K a year for an asst softball coach.  Closer to 63K.  In any event, it is not a very liveable wage in the DMV if you are in your mid 30's with a family.  It works for the early 20 something "I am just a couple of years removed from college" type asst.  But if you want a real mature asst who isn't as immature as some of your players and who may stay for more then 1 - 2 years, then you have to pay a little more.

TruDat, you couldn't be more correct when you talked about some of the asst's feeding into the drama of the players.  As a matter of fact, current coach Wright is good at that as well and so was Watten.  When you have a little more testosterone in the dugout, you don't tend to get that.  And TerpAlum, if the very green asst A.D. at Maryland hadn't listened to Ole Mrs    "This Is Our Sport and No Man is Gonna Coach a Big 10 Softball Team," up there in Michigan,  she had her coach ready to go in asst coach Tommy Santiago.  He was Courtney Scott Deifle's asst that was beloved by the players, a great teacher of the sport, and a great recruiter with connections all over the country.  The team wanted HIM to be their head coach, not Julie Wright.

But NOOOOOO,  he wears boxers and not panties, so i guess that invalidated him from consideration for a Big 10 softball head coaching job.  I guess it is ok for him to be an asst, but he is not qualified to be a head coach.  They basically told him not to even apply.   Too bad.   They have a mess on their hands over there.  As a person close to the program, I couldn't be more disappointed.   But the "Einsteins" in charge over there got it all under control.  No need to fret.



Good stuff.
The players loved Tommy. I don't know if he even applied for the job. There was a male in the three final candidates. The girls wanted him, Wright last. Wright got the job.
My DD really wanted a male coach there, even before Diefel. She said too many women, too much drama, and that a man could tone it down some! Lol. And she is about as girly as the come.
SunkistSoftball

Registered:
Posts: 11
Reply with quote  #164 
TruDat,

Why is everyone soooooo surprised that these two asst coaches "quit their jobs without having another job."    Who would be beating down their doors to hire these two assts coming off of two stellar years of 11 and 12 wins??   What positive could the pitching coach point to?   And what about the hitting coach, all those home runs they hit?  the high batting average? all the bases they stole?

And how does everyone know these two assts were not asked to resign by either the head coach Wright or the AD Kevin Anderson.  Assts are usually on a year to year and are an easy cheap ATTEMPT at a fix.  The head coach on the other hand is locked into a 5 year deal (oh is this painful)  with NO buyout.  Remember, we have "Einsteins,"  running things up there.  5 years, AND NO buyout!  I think i would take my chances with some new assts as well.  Unless someone was in the room when it happened or has VERY good intel on the situation, How do you know whether they were asked to resign or did it on their own volition?
spazsdad

Registered:
Posts: 4,392
Reply with quote  #165 
More incoherence.
TruDat

Registered:
Posts: 915
Reply with quote  #166 
TerpAlum, the head coach did play games. I have talked to many close to the program and its true. It was this macho attitude that caused the problems. Julie Wright had a nice resume from a little school. Jump on a bigger stage and in year two when it looks bad the shortcomings come out and she didn't know how to adjust. The parents of some players were well aware of the craziness. Let's face it, the AD is deficient and his subordinates are incompetent. This will play out into a crash landing and maybe next time they'll hire the gay male coach
TheNarrator

Registered:
Posts: 2,435
Reply with quote  #167 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpAlum
35k was a joke. All salaries are public and you can google them. Not that it matters, the male assistant from west coast who was interviewed that some wanted was gay. No, Hutch did not influence anything at Maryland. Was there. We are in the BIG for money only, not devoted to it at all. Actually adamant to do things theTerp Way on our own otherwise. Green assis AD as you say would not know who Hutch is. Wright's credentials are better than any assist. applying for head coach job. Simple as that. And it is not estrogen causing issues...that,s 1950s talk. In fact, it is the mimicking of testosterone that was causing issues. The coaches (one of the assists. and the head coach) were nowhere near close enough to players to engage in some sort of so-called estrogen-related head games.


Cocaine, it's a hell of a drug.
BigTenSoftball

Registered:
Posts: 95
Reply with quote  #168 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerpAlum
Not that it matters, the male assistant from west coast who was interviewed that some wanted was gay.


If it doesn't matter, why are you bringing it up??? Your are total and complete whack job.
BStandby

Registered:
Posts: 9
Reply with quote  #169 
This conversation has strayed far from the subject line. Please consider moving the conversation and allow the thread to continue with it's original intent. 
__________________
Bob...
texassmallball

Registered:
Posts: 88
Reply with quote  #170 
Who gets hired at Indiana? Will they be the first to buck the system and hire a male HC?

Any chance the current staff stays on board?
texassmallball

Registered:
Posts: 88
Reply with quote  #171 
Not a lot of coaching openings. WTH? Are there that many content AD's?
TerpAlum

Registered:
Posts: 759
Reply with quote  #172 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTenSoftball


If it doesn't matter, why are you bringing it up??? Your are total and complete whack job.


Wow touchy. It was in response to them wanting a male coach at Maryland because the female personality is toxic. Making it clear his sexual orientation, or even how much is more like a man or woman in gender role, is irrelevant to coaching. Good grief.
OleumCamino

Registered:
Posts: 26
Reply with quote  #173 
Quote:
Originally Posted by texassmallball
Who gets hired at Indiana? Will they be the first to buck the system and hire a male HC?

Any chance the current staff stays on board?


I wouldn't be shocked if the interim stayed.
OleumCamino

Registered:
Posts: 26
Reply with quote  #174 
Quote:
Originally Posted by texassmallball
Not a lot of coaching openings. WTH? Are there that many content AD's?


Also surprised by this. I would have expected more at this point. There also don't seem to be jobs open that would start a worthwhile chain reaction.
ssrules

Registered:
Posts: 185
Reply with quote  #175 
GA Southern hired the Armstrong coach. She has only been there a year as a HC.
Nextyear

Registered:
Posts: 63
Reply with quote  #176 
They are merging the schools and Armstrong Athletics doesn't exist any more. That move has been expected since they did not renew Annie Smith.
ssrules

Registered:
Posts: 185
Reply with quote  #177 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nextyear
They are merging the schools and Armstrong Athletics doesn't exist any more. That move has been expected since they did not renew Annie Smith.


It's a dumb move but not surprising. I know of WAY more qualified and proven coaches that wanted this job. Of course when it comes to qualified coaches, most ADs don't look at that. Considering the list of jobs that are open now were a lot of the "quality" hires 4-5 years ago.
SBrules

Registered:
Posts: 395
Reply with quote  #178 
The Armstrong coach successfully led a mutiny to get rid of the coach before her at Armstrong. Now she gets the GA Southern job because her AD gets the job after the merger.

Wow!
ssrules

Registered:
Posts: 185
Reply with quote  #179 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBrules
The Armstrong coach successfully led a mutiny to get rid of the coach before her at Armstrong. Now she gets the GA Southern job because her AD gets the job after the merger.

Wow!


We love softball with everything that is in our souls. But this is a prime example why a lot of qualified coaches are leaving the profession.
Oh snap....she sounds lovely 😒🙄
Pudge

Registered:
Posts: 4,200
Reply with quote  #180 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrules


We love softball with everything that is in our souls. But this is a prime example why a lot of qualified coaches are leaving the profession.
Oh snap....she sounds lovely 😒🙄


True! 😉

__________________
Softball is my passion!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation: